Harley newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
thehoker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley newbie

Hello all.
I just inherited a 91 softail custom a few weeks ago.
My much loved and missed uncle passed away,and this was his baby.
Ive loved bikes all my life,he was the one who introduced me to the joy of motorcycles.
I have primarely been involved with the sporting side of cycles,riding and racing both road and mx bikes most of my life.
I am no mechanic,but do try to fake it at times,and am at a loss and need help before proceding.
The bike wasnt ridden much at all, in the last two years due to my uncles bad health,he kept it up very well untill he came ill.The bike has a fair amount of surface rust and other small things that need repair.
I am going to restore this to the beauty it always was when my uncle was riding it all summers long.
Im upgrading a few things,and here is my problem.
Im replacing the old clunky large turn signals and tail/brake light to that of more modern bikes.
The new turn signals are two wire each,the stock fronts are as well so no problem there,but the rears only have one wire exiting the light(the stock ones),so I figure the red one is the hot one, the black one is the ground (on the new ones),correct?

My biggest problem is in the brake/tail light,the stock one only has two wires going to it,red and green.
The new one has three wires,a red,a yellow and a black,can anyone tell me how to wire this up as I dont want to pop fuses upon powering it up?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated,and I thank you in advance.
BK

Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you get the new directionals, the hot wire will be either purple or red which will go where the stock ones went in the male end of the wiring harness under the seat.... the black wire will need to be grounded to the frame where the negative cable is grounded

as far as your tail light.... the two colored wires correspond to the running light and the brake light.... it is self grounded, that is why there is no black ground wire

on the aftermarket light, the black wire has to be grounded somewhere....either on a fender strut bolt, or to the license bracket, etc.

hope this helps

Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

As far as I know, all the turn signal grounds are to the frame through the cast housing. The front turn signal contains dual filament bulbs (running lamps and turn signals). One wire is for the running lamp and one for the signals. the rear indicators have single filaments, so only one wire is needed.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
As far as I know, all the turn signal grounds are to the frame through the cast housing. The front turn signal contains dual filament bulbs (running lamps and turn signals). One wire is for the running lamp and one for the signals. the rear indicators have single filaments, so only one wire is needed.
this is incorrect, Uncle

i have the very same scoot...you are correct in that all the turn signals are ground to the frame through the cast housing on the stock lights, but the rear harley 'bullet' upgrades have two wires.... the ground runs separate

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Maybe this basic wire diagram will help you, one of the guys posted it

Attached Thumbnails Harley newbie-wiring1.jpg