EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted

During a stripdown of my 91 Ultra rear wheel bearings,spacers etc., I see that the very thin (1mm) washer has not got a "lip" on it. #11
I also see that in the official HD Manual there is another spacer shown. #10
I have not seen this other spacer during stripdown.
The 2 washer/spacer parts in question are illustrated in the Manual on 2-13
Rear Wheel FLT models. see pic.3
pic.of both sides of washer supplied.
Any help much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails 91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted-shim-and-eg-in-blue-005.jpg   91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted-shim-and-eg-in-blue-006.jpg   91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted-shim-and-eg-in-blue-007.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

#10 is the stepped spacer and #11 is a shim.
The step "lip" goes towards the bearing so it will only touch the inner bearing race and not the cage, the #11
shim is for setting bearings end play.

Last edited by Schex; 12-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Schex3x
#10 is the stepped spacer and #11 is a shim.
The step "lip" goes towards the bearing so it will only touch the inner bearing race and not the cage, the #11
shim is for setting bearings end play.
Thanks for reply..is my pic of the stepped spacer with the lip "worn" down or is it the shim? What thickness should #10 & #11 be.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I don't have one in front of me, but the #10 step spacer is probably about .030", and the shims vary from .001" and up.

Your spacer or shims in the pictures looks rusted and spun and need replacing.

Sorry for late response, spending a lot of time hunting lately.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Bungo, if I have the correct part numbers, Jersey HD lists them. There is only one size of the 'spacer washer', five optional thicknesses of the 'spacer': 0.002, .004, .008, .016, .032. Yours certainly look worthy of replacement, as Schex suggests!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Bungo, if I have the correct part numbers, Jersey HD lists them. There is only one size of the 'spacer washer', five optional thicknesses of the 'spacer': 0.002, .004, .008, .016, .032. Yours certainly look worthy of replacement, as Schex suggests!
Thanks Graham & Schex.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Meant to say Graham...the HD official Manual shows illustrations of 2 different rear wheel set ups,one is an FLT (fig.2-10)and the other an FXR (FIG.2-12)
I notice that the spacer washers are on different sides of the wheel in the illustrations ie on one illustration side they are on the Disc/Rotor side and the other illustration has them on the Pulley side. The pics. in the Harley Manual couldnt be wrong could they? I have had the rear wheel off the Ultra for so long I cant remember the spacer (3) sequence..

Last edited by BungoBill; 12-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Interesting! I can't see why it should matter. The 'spacer washer' is there to support the 'spacers' or shims IMHO, so they must go together in the correct sequence, but their purpose is to adjust the inners of the two bearings to give the correct end float. That is a traditional engineering solution - to make the main spacer (the tube) a bit too short, so that fine adjustment can be made with shims. The tube, washer and shims thereby act together as a single entity. Unless you can find a distinct difference on one side of the hub, install as takes your fancy!

Happy Hogmanay - we'll be watching Jules.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Interesting! I can't see why it should matter. The 'spacer washer' is there to support the 'spacers' or shims IMHO, so they must go together in the correct sequence, but their purpose is to adjust the inners of the two bearings to give the correct end float. That is a traditional engineering solution - to make the main spacer (the tube) a bit too short, so that fine adjustment can be made with shims. The tube, washer and shims thereby act together as a single entity. Unless you can find a distinct difference on one side of the hub, install as takes your fancy!

Happy Hogmanay - we'll be watching Jules.
Thanks Graham, Got it sorted now. One thing I had forgotten about was.....
The Rear brake cylinder fits on the Axle and I hadnt taken that into account either. Grey matter not too good nowadays!
Looking forward to seeing pics. of your bike when its finished.
Have a good Hogmanay and all the very best for 2014.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

I am playing with my bearings as well, so very timely post. Thanks.

Question: a thicker shim/spacer means more (or increases) play...? Right...?

Anybody have a generic part number for the grease seal? I know factory number is HD47519-83a, and the size of the seal is 45mm x 28mm x 10mm thick (at least that's the info I found surfing the web). Just was hoping to find one at the local shop.

Dealer does not stock them, and shows no interest in getting them either. Unless I want to pay 20 bucks each just for the seals. Might just have to order online, but would rather get them locally. YD

Quick Reply: 91 Ultra...Rear wheel washer/spacer info wanted