EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Starter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter removal

In preparation for replacing my starter, I just looked at my book, and it says nothing about removing the outer primary. this is the old style system where the solenoid and starter are separate. Don't I need to remove the outer primary cover to disengage the jackshaft?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I just called a friend of mine that has a '85 and he says you do have to pull off the outer primary to change the starter.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not familiar with the 1988 starter set-up but if you have the old system that has the solenoid fastened to the primary, then I'm thinking you can pull the motor off the reduction gear housing without opening up the primary.
That would be you are removing the starter motor only, not the reduction gear housing.
If you do wind up pulling the primary cover, stop and disconnect the positive cable from the battery. If you move the starter linkage much inside the primary you might energize the starter motor (if it is still installed on the bike) and then you may find your fingers in a meat grinder.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by megawatt
If you move the starter linkage much inside the primary you might energize the starter motor (if it is still installed on the bike) and then you may find your fingers in a meat grinder.
Years ago when the bike was new to me, and I was in the primary messing around, I did just that. I didn't get chewed up, but scared the hell out of me and left a big impression. Won't do that again!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer

I had to remove the outer primary on my wife's '89 to disengage the jackshaft. Been a few months, but I think there was a snap ring in there that has to come out. Don't know if an '88 would be different or not.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

bluharley... '84-'88 FLT/FXR models do not require you to remove the jackshaft in order to remove the starter motor and housing. Jackshaft removel prerequisite started in '89

And make sure to disconnect the pos lead on the battery so that you do not end up activiating anything.

And I assume you are talking about the bike in your sig pic...1988 FLTC

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Killerman#1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 fltc

To remove the starter motor on my 87 FLTC it ain't no big deal, remove the pos. lead an a couple long skinny bolts, no problem.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Yea, my '88 Tour Glide. I remember back some time ago, I think I pulled the starter for unknown reasons (I played a lot when i got it), and I think I remember pulling it without taking the outer primary off, but I think I also remember having a hell of a time getting it back in the hole. Maybe I'm thinking about someone else.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Yeah it can be a bit of a pain to get the end of the starter motor gear aligned with the drive gear in the housing and then rotate it a bit to align the holes for the long through bolts.

And if you think about it, take pics as you go so that it becomes a "tech-tip" for the next one in line who has the same question. They hit the "search" button with the question and yours shows up and gives them first-hand info.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

All OK except the book says to remove both battery cables and always remove the negative first. I have always just removed the negative cable when working on electrical stuff and cover the battery terminal with something unless you are sure the cable cannot make contact with the battery terminal.

Quick Reply: Starter removal