Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   clutch hub bearing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1041391-clutch-hub-bearing.html)

RHillbilly 04-20-2015 08:19 PM

Not sure what is causing whine the primary bearing had a rough feel when spinning it,may as well replace all of them while in there also replacing release bearing

johnjzjz 04-21-2015 07:20 AM

the belt being to tight makes it whine

and a very tight belt makes the 5th gear bearings go away

RHillbilly 04-21-2015 07:44 PM

Belt wasn't to tight gonna pull tranny and check all the bearings,can't remember do I need to pull belt pull to get trap door out also any tricks to get trap door to come loose seems like someone glued every thing together

Schex 04-22-2015 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by RHillbilly (Post 13941077)
Belt wasn't to tight gonna pull tranny and check all the bearings,can't remember do I need to pull belt pull to get trap door out also any tricks to get trap door to come loose seems like someone glued every thing together

Removed the inner primary bearing race?
If it walked in, here's one way to remove it.

johnjzjz 04-22-2015 07:56 AM

1 do you have the OEM service and parts books -

2 did you take the top cover off the trans -

3 you can leave the belt pulley on BUT the 5\th gear main bearing cant be replaced with it on

4 you will need special tools to remove / install the 2 small outer bearings in the cover your trying to remove

5 we use belray 85 / 140 Hypoid gear oil in them only - but an oil war can start if you ask about what the best oil to use

6 how many miles doit have

falconbrother 04-22-2015 08:49 AM

Mine has an occasional whine under power in high gear. I messed with it and fooled with it and then took it to my indie guy. He loosened the belt and took it for a long ride. He pronounced: "It's a nice bike. There's nothing wrong with it. Ride it." That was 10,000 miles ago. It still has an occasional whine and I just turn the radio up.

RHillbilly 04-22-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by johnjzjz (Post 13942377)
1 do you have the OEM service and parts books -

2 did you take the top cover off the trans -

3 you can leave the belt pulley on BUT the 5\th gear main bearing cant be replaced with it on

4 you will need special tools to remove / install the 2 small outer bearings in the cover your trying to remove

5 we use belray 85 / 140 Hypoid gear oil in them only - but an oil war can start if you ask about what the best oil to use

6 how many miles doit have

61000 miles,gonna have someone look it over and replace those bearings,have done this on another softail but cant get the trap door to come out everything is removed that should be just removed pulley

RHillbilly 04-22-2015 07:45 PM

It had Harley oil in it will put red line shockproof back in it,just need to get trap door to come loose don't want to wedge screwdrive between door and case,would it be OK to tap on main shaft since I am replacing trap door bearings?

texashillcountry 04-22-2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RHillbilly (Post 13944741)
It had Harley oil in it will put red line shockproof back in it,just need to get trap door to come loose don't want to wedge screwdrive between door and case,would it be OK to tap on main shaft since I am replacing trap door bearings?

I wouldn't.
What I would do is take all the bolts out and then tap the trap door with a rubber mallet.

johnjzjz 04-23-2015 06:31 AM

we put the nut back on the mainshaft just at the end so both will be used and hit it with a lead hammer