EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Mystery Harley help to identify please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

That clutch is the same as my '90 Glide. Nothing negative about the changes your bike has, once you catalogue them, so you know for next time!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Do ya'll sell a ring gear to go along with that pinion gear?

The reason I ask is that I had to replace my ring gear with the 84 tooth ring gear from Rivera a while back.
Don't make replacement ring gears.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:10 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,321 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Don't make replacement ring gears.
Thanks.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Rebuilder can also, probably, provide exact ID of your failed starter, as he'd likely have to know this anyway. I second suggestion by Owtlaw. It's at least a good place to start.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE

I bought a 2.0 kw starter for a 89 Harley fxrs fits on perfect, I haven't bolted it up yet. it cold in CT here by the time I got home it was 26 degree, and windy. Plus the starter was a little bigger so i going to have to take the oil res and all the lines off to bolt it up thanks for all the helps guys.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:34 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What part of Connecticut you in neighbor ?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,407 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by 83hdfxrs
Lmao nope someone decided to paint the starter black, and they painted over the sticker as well I took paint thinner to it and it didn't work so no help there. I looked up pics and it looks like the 89 fxrs parts look the same.
Paint thinner is no where near strong enough. Get some fingernail polish remover. That stuff is mostly acetone. You could get some paint stripper. Jasco makes some good stuff also. Wear gloves when you use it, and ventilate the area well.

EDIT~ Aww hell, I shoulda read page 2!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-15-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: DUHHH!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:02 PM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

I'm from lisbon ct. So I put the new starter in a 2.0 kw arrowhead starter bolted the starter up and attached the pinion gear. I tried to starter the engine and again the same problem occurs once the pinion gears grabs the starter ring gear it won't spin. Its hooked up to a 900 cca truck battery directly so I know it's getting enough power. If I take the pinion gear off amd

Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 PM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

I'm from lisbon ct. So I put the new starter in a 2.0 kw arrowhead starter bolted the starter up and attached the pinion gear. I tried to starter the engine and again the same problem occurs once the pinion gears grabs the starter ring gear it won't spin. Its hooked up to a 900 cca truck battery directly so I know it's getting enough power. If I take the pinion gear off and hit the button it pops out and spin FAST. Once it put the pinion gear on it won't spin. Could it be a seized engine or something I really don't want to take it to a Harley shop and get an arm and leg for them to figure it out.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:35 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

You may, obviously, have a problem.

In trouble-shooting, which is applied science, very often people make the mistake of assuming or even stating more than they know. Your problem, brother, may lie there. Here's how (maybe).

You know bike does not start. You assume many things - motor free, battery good, wires doing what they are supposed to do, switches in proper setting, all this and more.

Brother, restate on paper everything you know - it's a short list.
Now, make the list of what you do not know - be liberal about this and leave nothing out. Some priorities are natural (you do not know about death-rays from Mars, so put these last. Don't look for zebra in antelope country. Similarly batteries are diabolical, put that first. A locked up engine ought to be pretty easy to eliminate, it's rare, but it happens. And trannies can lock up too...

Design experiments that will move your not-knows to the know list. Every set of experiments will tend to create in your imagination new hypothesis - write these down too - they form your future list of experiments.

In the fullness of time the machine will succumb to science, always.

Considering the age of the bike there's no obvious reason to visit the dealer, but having a pal who's bike-minded can be helpful in several ways - he can observe, cross-pollinate your ideas, check you where you may have jumped over a logical step.

Sobriety may be necessary. An old pal of mine once thought that his corvette brakes kept locking up. It was a very foggy day. Every time he backed up, the car went fine. But every time he went forward the car stopped with violence after a few feet of travel...

He had hit an oak tree.

See about assumptions of stuff you don't know? Killya every time...

If the motor's locked up another whole set of reasoning has to happen, as you must learn how it happened.

Hope that it's just a little rust in a cylinder... The other reasons are somewhat dire...

Quick Reply: Mystery Harley help to identify please