Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Fatboy won't start. Clicking sound. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1125521-fatboy-wont-start-clicking-sound.html)

Jackie Paper 07-26-2016 01:04 PM

It is a balance mark from a drill point removing material to dynamic balance it. Mine out of my 04 had 3 of those. Interestingly, the new one from Harley did not have any. That sharp blow is to OD like hitting it with a hammer or dropping it. I use a huge 3/4 impact and it hurts nothing.

Dan89FLSTC 07-28-2016 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RIPSAW (Post 15358623)
It is a balance mark from a drill point removing material to dynamic balance it .

Actually, something that short would only be static balanced (meaning it is balanced in a single plane)...:icon_mrgreen:

texashillcountry 07-28-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC (Post 15365412)
Actually, something that short would only be static balanced (meaning it is balanced in a single plane)...:icon_mrgreen:

You might want to rethink that,

Static balance refers to the ability of a stationary object to balance. It happens when the object's center of gravity is on the axis of rotation. Dynamic balance, on the other hand, is the ability of an object to balance while in motion or switching between positions.

Jackie Paper 07-28-2016 06:17 PM

Not 100% sure your term is correct and I bet the balance equipment was probably capable of showing two plane or force and angle balance. That part is spinning almost 6000 rpm by some people. Years ago, I ran our balance department for a few years after moving into management. All are equipment was dynamic except one vertical based Pelton machine we did ship wheels that sill did rotated. On those, the engineer would come in and spend hours figuring location of relief factoring for dynamics and blade dimensions. One of the wheels I did before moving into management was off the USS United States. Has my initials along with BuShips inspector and is located in the Mariner's Museum in Newport News VA.

The term static I think still means balancing in a stationary position (not spinning).
Like bubble balancing a tire. However, you still put half the weight on each side to in theory not affect two plane out of balance.
Most equipment that rotate measure accurately two plane balance angle with sensors and show accurately were two light places are. Operators normally always double checks.

Dan89FLSTC 07-28-2016 08:40 PM

I balance jet engine rotors and shafts as part of my job, been doing it almost 35 years.

A single rotor would be spun in a balance machine and the unbalance would be measured in a single plane, even though the part was spun in the machine, the reading would be still be called a static balance.

A part that is balanced this way can be spun, and will come to a stop in a different position each time it is spun.

You can have a part that is static balanced, but will be unbalanced when spun (dynamic balance)...

Take a balanced shaft, add a weight to the end, then add an equal weight to the other end, 180 degrees from the first weight.

That shaft will still be static balanced (meaning it is in balance when not spinning), but spin it up and it will be way out of balance.

Fun stuff.

Yeah, that ugly mark on the rotor is where the material was removed for balancing.:icon_mrgreen: