EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Soft King

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
Is there a tourpack that is made for single seat bikes? That do not have the passenger backrest?

Although, I am thinking maybe just go with side bags for now. Hopefully that will be enough for day to day riding and I can throw a bag on the back for the occaisional road trip.
I built up my FLSTN pretty much the same way. My bags are reproduction "bubble" bags that preserve the old school style of the Softail.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Is there a tourpack that is made for single seat bikes? That do not have the passenger backrest?

Although, I am thinking maybe just go with side bags for now. Hopefully that will be enough for day to day riding and I can throw a bag on the back for the occaisional road trip.
There ya go!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I have not run across one that doesn't have the passenger backrest. I suppose you could remove it, and fill the holes. Just depends on how much work you want to do.

I can bolt a OEM TourPack on the back of my FLHS, but I would need to remove the accessory luggage rack first. I went cheap and Hack Fab'd up a plywood mount that allows me to put an 8 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer on the rack using a couple of bungee cords. Been working fine for over 24 years. Get to my destination, or motel stop, and off the bike and into the room it goes. The down side is that it's really not weather-proof (like the TourPack or hard saddlebags). I pack everything inside a large plastic trash bag before it goes inside. Many 8 hour days chasing and being chased by the remnants of hurricanes have proven that this works fine. And I have dry clothes to change into.

The saddlebags do just fine for my daily commuting. I can get my leather jacket, gloves, and small helmet in the high-side bag. The other bag doesn't see much use, unless I'm going to be traveling long distances. Then I want all my rain gear in the high-side bag. Everything else in the low-side. My insulated cooler/lunchbox is strapped to the luggage rack with a couple of bungee cords.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Take one step at a time! My FLHS is the predecessor of the Road King, and when new came with bags only. The bike is fine like that for much of the time, until you start carrying a favourite person or go shopping for the week! Or for that matter going on a touring holiday away from home, which is what prompted me to get one. I suspect all tourpaks come drilled to take a backrest, so you can be prepared for the day when you carry a passenger, but no reason why you shouldn't take it off and install blanks in the holes.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The bike is fine like that for much of the time, until you start carrying a favourite person or go shopping for the week! Or for that matter going on a touring holiday away from home, which is what prompted me to get one.
Truth be know, I pack more crap than my wife does.....

Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Hackd
Truth be know, I pack more crap than my wife does.....
Shhh! Don't say things like that - we chaps must stick together, sing from the same song-sheet - brothers in arms and all that......

Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks everybody. Think I will start with just the side bags.

I would like to find used OEM, but I will probably go with aftermarket reproductions.

Planning to paint the flat black.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Thanks everybody. Think I will start with just the side bags.

I would like to find used OEM, but I will probably go with aftermarket reproductions.

Planning to paint the flat black.
I mounted a three-channel luggage rack on mine, along with the Mustang wide solo seat. The rack is great. I can strap a duffel to it for touring, and I can use a bungee net to tie something to the rack if I'm out and need to carry something that won't fit in the saddlebags (like a case of Mountain Dew and a pizza, or, whatever).

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I mounted a three-channel luggage rack on mine, along with the Mustang wide solo seat. The rack is great. I can strap a duffel to it for touring, and I can use a bungee net to tie something to the rack if I'm out and need to carry something that won't fit in the saddlebags (like a case of Mountain Dew and a pizza, or, whatever).
Your bike looks pretty similar to what I am trying to do with mine. I am even thinking of switching out my Ape hangers for more standard handlebars like yours.

Although I have my Ape hangers racked back a bit and it creates a very comfortable riding position.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Your bike looks pretty similar to what I am trying to do with mine. I am even thinking of switching out my Ape hangers for more standard handlebars like yours.

Although I have my Ape hangers racked back a bit and it creates a very comfortable riding position.
Comfort trumps looks all the time IMO.

Quick Reply: Soft King