Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Electrical / Lighting System Upgrade FLSTC (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1185770-electrical-lighting-system-upgrade-flstc.html)

texashillcountry 07-08-2017 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 16412248)
Yes, that is what I am experiencing. However, I am wondering if I can slide the wires through the clips that hold them in place under the fender or unclip them to give me enough room to get to the back of the light.

You probably have to loosen the clips by prying up on them slightly with a screw driver.

You're really gonna need to remove either the wheel or the fender to safely do this job.

Sorg67 07-08-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by texashillcountry (Post 16412286)
You're really gonna need to remove either the wheel or the fender to safely do this job.

Yes, I think you are right. I started down the road of removing the fender but somebody commented that it is better to remove the rear tire.

I have never removed the rear tire. It seems like removing the fender would be more within my skill set, but I understand that I may stumble onto something unexpected due to my inexperience with working on motorcycles.

texashillcountry 07-08-2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 16412318)
Yes, I think you are right. I started down the road of removing the fender but somebody commented that it is better to remove the rear tire.

I have never removed the rear tire. It seems like removing the fender would be more within my skill set, but I understand that I may stumble onto something unexpected due to my inexperience with working on motorcycles.

Removing the rear wheel is actually easier IMO.
The downside is you are then sitting on the floor and trying to work over your head in a cramped area.
If you pull the fender then you can put it on a table upside down and do the work easily you just have to be careful not to scratch the paint.

If you jack the bike up it is easier to get to the bolts under the fender without removing the wheel.

WP50 07-08-2017 01:10 PM

One thing you might want to be careful of.
Even when using a jack as mentioned when you take the rear wheel loose it can (not always) cause an imbalance to the bike.

The front will most likely want to tip downward. I overcome this by having something just under the front tire (wood blocks ,cinder blocks) that way if the bike or jack wants to tip down some. It has a stop.

WP

Uncle G. 07-09-2017 11:59 AM

Remember that the wiring bundle for the tail lamp also contains the turn signal wiring, so don't forget to unplug the turn signals (and the fender tip lamp). There's a connector for the fender tip lamp. It's behind the lamp assembly (two screws).

I still say it's easier to remove the fender than the wheel. Also this allows you to get the fender upside down on a workbench.

Remove the seat, bags, backrest and the bag mounts. Unplug the tail lamp connector (ahead of the battery, above the oil pump). That leaves just four bolts holding the fender. Remove the nuts from the two rear oval head screws (You need a big screwdriver bit-my impact driver had one), leaving the screws in place. Remove the nuts from the two front screws. Steady the fender at the rear while you remove the two front bolts. The front of the fender will drop and sit on the swing arm and frame. While holding the rear of the fender, remove the last two screws at the back, holding the fender at both ends, drop the fender down toward the tire and rotating it to clear the tire, remove it rearward. Once the bolts are loosened, the fender brackets will spread on their own making it easier.

Reverse the process to reinstall.

WP50 07-09-2017 12:30 PM

Been following this and with the fact of not having a good suitable jack for a tire removal_____ I'd remove the fender. It's not that tough of a job.

If it has 25 years old wiring?? Don't recall that you would be dealing with a bunch wires Umm 5-6 maybe.

When I redid my fender wiring I located a small connector to attach to the tail light to make it's removal easier latter on. Well that and I latter mounted a 08 SG led tail lamp assembly.

WP

Sorg67 07-09-2017 01:08 PM

Thanks for the additional input. Very helpful.

My bike has a very dirty and corroded 5 pin connector to the rear fender.

I have all the bolts removed except for the two at the back that require the giant phillips head screwdriver. I need a bigger screw driver.....

I plan to replace both sides of the connector with a new weather resistant one. I will probably replace the wires as well. I must at least replace tail light. I suspect I should probably replace the entire rear fender system.

Uncle G. 07-09-2017 02:31 PM

Finding a screwdriver big enough is a bit of a problem, as I know. I'm sure they exist somewhere. As I said, I had a usable bit in my old impact driver set.

Id really like to find replacements for those two screws, as mine are a bit grotty. They're 3/8-24 X 1-3/8, oval head Pozi-drive screws. They're obsolete from Harley, and a web search has turned up nothing.

texashillcountry 07-09-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 16415751)
Thanks for the additional input. Very helpful.

My bike has a very dirty and corroded 5 pin connector to the rear fender.

I have all the bolts removed except for the two at the back that require the giant phillips head screwdriver. I need a bigger screw driver.....

I plan to replace both sides of the connector with a new weather resistant one. I will probably replace the wires as well. I must at least replace tail light. I suspect I should probably replace the entire rear fender system.

That takes a #4 screwdriver or screwdriver socket to get out.
If I were you I'd do whatever I had to do to remove the bolt then go get a countersunk allen head bolt to fit that hole. JMO

Sorg67 07-09-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by texashillcountry (Post 16416543)
That takes a #4 screwdriver or screwdriver socket to get out.

So is that a standard hardware store item?

Originally Posted by texashillcountry (Post 16416543)
If I were you I'd do whatever I had to do to remove the bolt then go get a countersunk allen head bolt to fit that hole. JMO

Yes, this sounds like a good idea if I can find one that fits.