Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   The quest for more torque (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1189283-the-quest-for-more-torque.html)

Evoken 07-24-2017 09:24 AM

The quest for more torque

We were out for a ride last weekend with a couple we ride with. We on the custom, they have a deluxe with 88b. I noticed that I have no trouble keeping up at distance, actually I may have more up top. But, I just couldn't get him off the line. Time for more Torque!

I will start collecting parts for a tear down when the weather turns or sooner, I can always ride the ultra.
I just ordered a crusher exhaust 2-1-2, they are on sale at jp for 470ish good price. I know 2-1 has better performance than 2-2 I just hate the look. I'm thinking this is the best of both worlds.

On to it then, I am leaning towards an ev13 for coming on early. Now, what tappets to use? There are so many out there with such a difference in price, it's just mind boggling. Of course new Torrington bearing. New push rods, I'm leaning towards non adjustables. Thinking about having heads looked at and worked, not sure what was done to this thing before me but something was.

What's it cost to have heads sent to someone like hillside? If I use .30 gaskets can I use stock length rods? No big bore in my future, but maybe domed pistons? If I get the heads worked with higher lift springs, then what complimenting cam, W6 or higher lift Andrews?

I've already got the SE programmable ignition, set at the 1st curve, I think this is where I want it, no detonation or pinging. With a cam and different pipes I may need to rejet the super E, won't know till I get there.

Thoughts, opinions? Damn, I hate getting smoked out of the hole, I must rectify this situation.

flhchaz 07-24-2017 01:35 PM

How many miles on the bike? I'd do a compression check to make sure that your motor isn't getting tired. Mayby it needs a good cylinder honing and some new rings?

aces&8s 07-24-2017 02:01 PM

If a stock 88B is quicker, then you have a snail.

Evoken 07-24-2017 02:27 PM

If the title and the Speedo where correct when I bought it, it's only got about 30k on it.

My buddy isn't stock, just has more torque. His has cam, head work and the other obvious pipes, a/c, ignition.

Yea, I do need to get a compression tester and see where it is, I doesn't feel tired though. Has no trouble getting well over the cenntenial mark, just not as quick as my buddy. That is with the OL on the back too, I'm glad she can't see the speedo on the softail.

If it does turn out that I have a smoked ring, well then maybe it will be time for some 10.5 pistons. But like I said, it doesn't seem tired just needs a little extra.Im fairly certain it's still got the epa cam in it, it sounds very similar in lope as the ultra and I know it hasn't been apart.

I personally haven't had it apart yet, I know something was done internally just not sure what. It runs a hell of a lot better than the ultra.

aces&8s 07-24-2017 02:47 PM

9.8-1 compression will keep you from pinging with todays piss gas. 10-1 weisco pistons, .030 head gasket, W6 cam, S&S E carb will probably easily smoke the 88b.
If you want an engine to last forever and out run 99% of the bikes on the road drop a S&S 111 in it.

Evoken 07-24-2017 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I think it will definitely be to upgrade this engine. As much as I would love an s&S engine, I just can't justify the cost.

98hotrodfatboy 07-24-2017 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by aces&8s (Post 16462430)
9.8-1 compression will keep you from pinging with todays piss gas. 10-1 weisco pistons, .030 head gasket, W6 cam, S&S E carb will probably easily smoke the 88b.
If you want an engine to last forever and out run 99% of the bikes on the road drop a S&S 111 in it.

This is the "BEST" build for a reliable , high gas mileage, and power band in an Evo..... Period..... 93 tq and 84.5 hp. felt good too...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...9cc5c7308e.jpg

Evoken 07-24-2017 06:24 PM

Well it looks like I'm halfway there. I need wiseco pistons, a w6, and I have already pmd Scott at hillside about looking at my heads.
those are some impressive numbers from an 80ci motor. Looks like it's gonna be time to start shopping around.

Where is the best place to find a w6 cam? Does it typically need shimmer like the andrews?

aces&8s 07-24-2017 06:46 PM

Scott Will have the best package combination for your needs. I personally would not go for an all out build. I would be looking for a bit of longevity to the engine.
Just like an all out 1/4 mile drag engine gets rebuilt a lot.

Evoken 07-24-2017 07:00 PM

Absolutely, I want her to last. That's why I want to stay with stock bore and a good street cam. No stroker, no big bore, I want to be able to ride this thing. I enjoy working on the bikes, bit they need to be ridden more than worked on. Otherwise I would buy a shovel......