EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Has anyone installed a FLT Fairing on an FLH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:46 AM
reverand roadblock
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a FLT Fairing on an FLH?

I have an 87 FLHTP, originally had the Roadking style windshield. My dad put a batwing fairing on (with a ford radio lol).

When he passed I inherited the bike but I've never been fond of having a sail attached to my forks and I always wanted an FLT with the fairing attached to the frame. So question is, is this a viable thing to put one of those beautifully ugly fairings on? Anyone have a parts list or tutorial about it?

I figured it would make a good winter project.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

As far as I know, the frame is the same. It's just a matter of getting all the brackets and the fairing. Go for it.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:49 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,165 Posts

That's gonna be a project for sure and probably a good one.

Kinda got me curious too.
This is not as on topic for you as it might could be but note the next to last paragraph in post #2

BTW its a 6 year old thread. found it with a google search

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...d-fairing.html

Old 08-21-2017, 09:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

I can see no reason why it can't be done, however the greatest challenge is likely to be finding the parts. By 1990 Harley was having great difficulties meeting demand for new bikes and they managed to make around 50K that year, whereas in 1987 I suspect the demand was only just starting to build up. So there are not likely to be many donor bikes available to steal the parts from! Current output by the MoCo is several times more these days than back in '87.

If you don't have copies, I recommend you get the factory service manual and parts books for your model year, which between them will give you plenty of info to research. There are also on-line parts websites although there is more info in the book.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:52 AM
reverand roadblock
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
I can see no reason why it can't be done, however the greatest challenge is likely to be finding the parts. By 1990 Harley was having great difficulties meeting demand for new bikes and they managed to make around 50K that year, whereas in 1987 I suspect the demand was only just starting to build up. So there are not likely to be many donor bikes available to steal the parts from! Current output by the MoCo is several times more these days than back in '87.

If you don't have copies, I recommend you get the factory service manual and parts books for your model year, which between them will give you plenty of info to research. There are also on-line parts websites although there is more info in the book.

No doubt, I was looking for fairings and only found 2 complete from that era. They were in the $800-$900 range but they sure do seem scarce. The mounting looks to be pretty straight foward, a mount at the neck and 2 brackets to the crash bars...at least thats what it looked like from the pictures.

In a perfect world one of the later model fairings would be the cats *** but I'm pretty sure that would be beyond my fabrication skills.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

It 'should ' work as around '86 H-D dropped the FLH frame and used the FLT frame instead , so you lucked out with the year
The FLT used a dash in front of the handle bars where the FLH dash was on the tank

Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Red face

The FLT Touring Tour Glide had a frame-mounted fairing from its introduction in 1980, however they weren't made in big numbers, hence my earlier comment. The old FLH Electra Glide frame was indeed dropped in 1987 and the rubber-mount replacement became the FLHT EG.

Rev, I suspect your ambition will sink or swim on whether you are prepared to spend out on that rarity which is a secondhand FLT fairing in good condition! Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
reverand roadblock (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You said it, it's a winter project. Almost anything is available, you just have to do some wide diligent searches. Find the parts fiches and look for the wire harness as well as the fairing and the mount brackets. Happy hunting.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts
Default flt fairing

hello reverend,I have all the parts for your conversion contact me if you are interestedglider86@msn.com

The following users liked this post:
reverand roadblock (08-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:53 AM
reverand roadblock
Novice

Kinda glad I'm doing this if only to clean up the wiring. It's a bit dodgy to be sure. lol

Had to lift the tank to get the CB and radio antenna wires out

This should be pared down a bit as I'm eliminating the radio, CB, and spotlights.

Well, thanks to 86glider I have the fairing in great shape. Mocked it up last night with a friend it should be fairly straight forward. Taking the old fairing off was the hard part I think...and the wiring will prove to be tedious as always.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a FLT Fairing on an FLH?