EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1995 Ultra Classic. Issues? Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 AM
cycocycle
Tourer
Received 227 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 1995 Ultra Classic. Issues? Upgrades?

Already have a 1998 FXSTC for short runs but I'm looking at a 36000 mile 1995 Ultrsa Classic
as a touring option to go with it. I may go to view the ultra later this week. My questions are what should i look for specifically with this bike? (Swingarm cracks etc) What are some of the better mods to improve the ride? (frame stabilizer etc).
I prefer to do all my own work which is why I've gone away from late model bikes back to Evos.
I don't really care about the audio stuff. I'll use a Bluetooth headset with my phone if I want music.
All tips, tricks, advice, warnings and general owner opinions much appreciated.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Far better IMHO to see the bike and buy it, if you like what you see. We can modify it in all manner of ways for you, if you give us your credit cards, but it's best if you ride it and identify features you would like advice on! Some of us would fit an S&S 124" and say to hell with...….

The following users liked this post:
cycocycle (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 853 Posts

Engine base gasket leaks always turns into more money because "why your here" let's get more power of $2500 worth.

Rear shocks can be $500 to $1000 depending on flavor, some get good results out of changing the oil in the OEM air ride shocks. Fronts is Racetech single rate spring change, add Ricor valving or Racetech emulators, some only put a heavier oil in the forks to eliminate the dive which is also the reason for the Racetech springs.

Can be a carb or M&M efi, carb is simple plus peanut butter and jelly to a Evo, the M&M works but a different creature and costs around $600-$700 to do the carb conversion yourself. In my honest opinion the M&M provides easier starts in cold weather and when right is consistent but takes away the soul of the Evo engine.

Yes the swing arms can crack and should have some rust lines around it, several have updated to the Twincam swing arm.

Seat year ranges are limited in the 96 year and down from different frame.

Overall a Touring Evo is a real solid bike, under powered but modifications is unlimited

Last edited by 1997bagger; 05-26-2019 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cycocycle (05-26-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:20 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

Cheers for the info. A 1996 Road King has also appeared on the radar so a lot of common information with both bikes. I think the road king as a bike sounds the better concept. By that I mean the screen on for touring off for cruising flexibility. But then I have the Softail for shorter trips so the Ultra could be a pure touring rig. I'll know more once I go to look at one or both of them over the next week.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by cycocycle
Cheers for the info. A 1996 Road King has also appeared on the radar so a lot of common information with both bikes. I think the road king as a bike sounds the better concept. By that I mean the screen on for touring off for cruising flexibility. But then I have the Softail for shorter trips so the Ultra could be a pure touring rig. I'll know more once I go to look at one or both of them over the next week.
I bought my FLHS on the very same reasoning, it being the model the RK was based on. I found the oval windshield awful, to be frank, especially in cross-winds, when it would tug at the bike in a very unpleasant manner. Hence my ole lady soon gained a batwing, as below!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I bought my FLHS on the very same reasoning, it being the model the RK was based on. I found the oval windshield awful, to be frank, especially in cross-winds, when it would tug at the bike in a very unpleasant manner. Hence my ole lady soon gained a batwing, as below!
Speaking of Hyacinth have you made any progress putting her back together?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Speaking of Hyacinth have you made any progress putting her back together?
Confession is good for the soul - not recently. So many bikes, too little time. Tinkering with another one at present.....

Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

LOVED my RK, by far the most versatile bike I EVER owned...they're the Swiss army knife of bikes. I will turn my present FLH into the same "style" bike. So it can be ridden stripped, dressed or anywhere in between in minutes.

1995 Ultra Classic. Issues? Upgrades?-lzpbqpil.jpg

1995 Ultra Classic. Issues? Upgrades?-npjuixul.jpg

Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

Ok. I havent been on in a few days but as is the way of these things nothing happens as expected. The Ultra was sold after weeks of no interest. I was telling a buddy and he tells me hes got an 1994 Evo roadking up for sale. I went and had a look but it wasnt running. As he was a buddy I was happy to take him at his word that it had been fine so it was likely something very simple. I bought it and got it home on a trailer. A couple of new spark plugs, a new 30 Amp breaker and tightening up some connections and it was running. A spray of carb cleaner confirmed an intake leak. Other than that its pretty sweet. Comfortable too. Makes my FXSTC feel like a sportster!.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:47 PM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Sweet! I think you'll really like the RK, they're great for long distance traveling. How many miles/Km on it? Out of curiosity, since you drive on the other side of the road, do you have to swap the controlls right to left?

Quick Reply: 1995 Ultra Classic. Issues? Upgrades?