Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my RK "only" vibes at a stop light

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,547 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Originally Posted by dukester
my RK "only" vibes at a stop light
Apples and Oranges, you have a rubber mounted engine.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '96 Electraglide Classic vibrates at idle or sitting at a light but smoothes out while moving. It's all part of what makes a Harley a Harley. They dont call them Millwaukee Vibrators for nuthin!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,213 Likes on 21,588 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
It doesn't have anything to do with it being an Evo. The Twin Cams that aren't balanced shake just as much, as do the Shovels, Pans, and Knuckleheads. It's the nature of a 45 degree, single crankpin V Twin engine. Balance Masters makes balancers for the clutch and compensator that are supposed to make a huge difference in the vibration. They use mercury as part of the weight in the balancers, so the liquid can self-adjust to different levels of vibration. I've got to say their website is horrible, but I've read tests of their products that were very favorable.
I looked into these "Balancemasters" years ago and guys that I know that have had them, and afterwords took them out and offered them to me for free say that they are in theory good, but overall do not do much if anything. They have been out for many years and if they had anything worth note, everyone would be on their bandwagon, including HD. Jus' sayin'.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until recently, I rode an Evo Softail for 20 years. The only time mine became noticeably worse than 'normal' was when my charging system wasn't working correctly. You might want to throw a meter on the stator coil output and make sure its up to spec.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,Last year I bought my 91 Ultra,my 1st Harley.Before that I had an 02 YAM TDM900 which was an ok bike,fast & reliable enough,but a bit "soulless. Ive spent quite a bit of money sorting my Ultra out and I am just about getting there. Anyway,to the point...My Ultra does vibrate especially compared to modern Jap. bikes,but know somethin,I love it "vibes" an all. Ive done a few trips of 150 miles(round trip) and I must say..I could sit happily on the Ultra for much longer distances than that. I dont think you should feel uncomfortable after 45 miles or so. Perhaps there is a problem of some kind with the bike. I hope that the frame hasnt been twisted at some time(accident) as that would obviously cause a problem. Best bet would be to get a ride on a similar(or near) bike and see if there is any difference re. vibration.Check the simple/r things thay could cause vibe. probs before tackling "frame/alignment" probs. Good luck and Im sure it will work out ok. Doug.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- one thing to check is your exhaust. Need to ensure that the exhaust is not
"stressed" when its bolted down. This helped my bike alot to cut down on
vibration.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM
M&D88FXSTC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a top engine mount come loose on my 88 that caused some bad vibes.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Check out the engine mounts, make sure the exhaust is not touching the frame or anything else as this will cause a vibration. Check the adjustment of the primary chain and final drive belt. Check out the alignment of the drive train. If all this checks out then do a compression and leak down test. If all this checks out then you might want to try an active engine balancer like Fisher etc. Hope this helps. Well I gotta go now, we are going to see Willie Nelson tonight.

Serious question: how does a compression test and leak down test help to determine the cause of vibration? Thanks!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Ghost
Just change the rear sprocket to a smaller one, and that will help with the cruising speed vibes.
Could be very much the case. It should give you around 70 mph on 3K RPM - that's when vibrations are not that bad yet. The reason that twinkie softails are counterbalanced now is exactly that - they run on higher rpms.

Also, I tried a couple of aftermarket floorboards on my heritage, and they all suck! The only cheap way to get rid of (some) vibration is to use stock boards from 90's- they are vibration dampening. If you don't like the look - just get the inserts that rivet on top of the existing stock inserts - that's what I did!

Quick Reply: EVO Vibration