EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 roadglide
Last year i purchased a 98 roadglide with 41.500 miles on it....

The crank case breather was hanging down and breathing oil on the ground. it had a screaming eagle air cleaner, i had the top end rebuilt last year new pistons,rings,5000 over on the cylinders,new cam,the stock air cleaner put back on. now it leaks/breathes oil all over the side of the motor.
Other than the top end, is it all stock? Re-routing the breather to the ground is a common trick. The last Indy shop that worked on mine, did it. Then I had them put it back to stock. My 93 FLHS doesn't leak, puke oil out the air cleaner, or puddle on the floor. First thing to check is the umbrella valves inside the rocker boxes. They are occassionally put on in the wrong location.

If the cam was changed, or other wise 'messed with', there is a possiblity that the breather is not properly timed.

Why would a company engineer a motor to do this. Had i have known this i would have bought a twin cam, but i hear they also have problems.bearings? I am almost ready to buy a gold wing. any imput would be great, as for the engine.
They didn't. In stock form, as I posted, I've never had an issue with oil dripping out the air cleaner. Even with my EV27 cam, mild ported heads, my EVO still doesn't spit oil. Or drip for that matter. Now I've got an interesting story about rocker boxes, but happily: they no longer leak.

As far as Twinkies go, I know nothing. My EVO will be with me, until I die, then my son gets it.

Gold Wing? Nice bike. Not a Harley.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hackd I thought HD only made 1 93 FLHS I have never seen any for sale or never seen anyone ever ask about these bikes ! 62,000 miles and I still love mine Next came the road king

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The only times my Evo has leaked was a direct result of something I did wrong, not the Harley engineers.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks all for the great responses

Ok, no bodys EVO leaks or breathes oil out of a stock air cleaner ? I find that hard to beleive. I stopped at my local HD store and spoke to 4 differant mechanics and they all told me they will leak a bit. My local indy guy who did the work told me yep it will leak/breathe out the stock cleaner. So he suggested to leave the S.E. air cleaner on and let the cc tube hang and drip on the ground. I disagreed so it went back to a stock air cleaner. My buddies 94 and 95 Evo drip a bit out of the stock air cleaner,no where near as much as mine. Its really starting to **** me off i pay and pay and no one does the work correctly. Other than a andrews ev27 cam its stock. runs great and drives great. It just leaks. So i learning its a normal thing. or i got a rat !!! I am done spending money on something that won't go away.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

The earlier Evos, like my 1990 FLHS which I bought new, developed a variety of leaks, notably cylinder base gaskets and gearbox oil seal. The replacements are oil tight. So yes the factory did build oil leaks, then provided the fix for them! There is no good reason for an Evo to leak today, except something being wrong with the poor thing. It just needs a little tender loving care!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
All pre-twin cam engines dripped a little.

I guess they took the fun out of it.
Not true,It is all about maintainance,even the shovelheads were dripless,properly maintained.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, no bodys EVO leaks or breathes oil out of a stock air cleaner ? I find that hard to beleive. I stopped at my local HD store and spoke to 4 differant mechanics and they all told me they will leak a bit. My local indy guy who did the work told me yep it will leak/breathe out the stock cleaner. So he suggested to leave the S.E. air cleaner on and let the cc tube hang and drip on the ground. I disagreed so it went back to a stock air cleaner. My buddies 94 and 95 Evo drip a bit out of the stock air cleaner,no where near as much as mine. Its really starting to **** me off i pay and pay and no one does the work correctly. Other than a andrews ev27 cam its stock. runs great and drives great. It just leaks. So i learning its a normal thing. or i got a rat !!! I am done spending money on something that won't go away.
hmmm....ok.......bye.

~Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,589 Likes on 21,669 Posts

Last year i purchased a 98 roadglide with 41.500 miles on it, all my hd buddies told me to buy an evo motor, so i listened. The crank case breather was hanging down and breathing oil on the ground. it had a screaming eagle air cleaner, i had the top end rebuilt last year new pistons,rings,5000 over on the cylinders,new cam,the stock air cleaner put back on. now it leaks/breathes oil all over the side of the motor. why would a company engineer a motor to do this. Had i have known this i would have bought a twin cam, but i hear they also have problems.bearings ? I am almost ready to buy a gold wing. any imput would be great, as for the engine.
Yep. I can see the future and you're definitely a gold wing guy..
Not that they ever have any type of problems....either...
I'm sure you'll be much happier...

On the other hand if you care to do a little research on this, there are lots of fixes for your particular issue, but you might have to type in the search, and we know how much effort that takes..

Make me an offer, I might buy your evo...

Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to say I think your talking to the wrong people on your end. I'll take pics of mine and the floor under it. Not a drop!!

But hey, you'll meet the nicest people on a Honda!! Enjoy...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you were to take the PCV out of the valve cover of your car and just let it hang there, you'll find that it leaks too... The high flow air cleaners tend to leave a loose hose, from the head, dangling down to let gravity do its thing. They will slobber, period...

However, I added a Kuryakyn breather to mine recently. It "dumps" the crankcase pressure upward, above the carb. I put a hose on it and ran it up the backbone(under the tank) and down the front frame risers to dump under the bike. Its a long hose, but it does NOT leak oil. My bike is clean and dry. It is by design, no different than a car, going to have some oil transfer from the crankcase. If its not sucked in to the air cleaner and just allowed to run down a hose, it will "leak". Mine never left a puddle before, but it was wet underneath..

BTW, I've never seen a clean Honda either.. It is an engine..

Last edited by HGM; 05-08-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?