Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   1998 fairing w/ gauges on a 85 flhtc (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/358033-1998-fairing-w-gauges-on-a-85-flhtc.html)

paco 01-21-2010 08:09 AM

Hey all,

My 99 roadglide has a cable operated speedo. i know its a twinkie but the frontend is the same as 96-99. I am in the process of changing the front end from the roadglide to and electraglide. I have a 95 electraglide that i may upgrade to the 96 + after i see how much problem this is changeover is. I already have got to do the spotlights and the speedo cable has to be replaced with a longer one on the RG. RG has no spotlights, but shouldnt be a problem wireing a hot wire to a switch. the deal with the 87-95 is the rewireing of the speedo-tac cluster. all in one unit to all seperate. the tac , the speedo, the indicator lights, the connectors etc are all different. maybe Addixionz will take a lot of pics and shit ! that will be a great help.

here are the pics i have taken so far. i will continue to add as i get closer to finish.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...0Electraglide/

later............

Teflon Tom 01-21-2010 09:27 AM

I did it

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2003 fairing on my 94 with the gauges all of them work. I did have the transmission out and drilled the case for the speed sensor. The wiring harness I used was a Thunderheart, the original main harness was NFG. The harness for the gauges I made up using the 2003 wiring diagram.
If you want the pictures of the final look email me.

NorthGeorgiaHawg 01-21-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by paco (Post 6127778)
Hey all,

My 99 roadglide has a cable operated speedo. i know its a twinkie but the frontend is the same as 96-99. I am in the process of changing the front end from the roadglide to and electraglide. I have a 95 electraglide that i may upgrade to the 96 + after i see how much problem this is changeover is. I already have got to do the spotlights and the speedo cable has to be replaced with a longer one on the RG. RG has no spotlights, but shouldnt be a problem wireing a hot wire to a switch. the deal with the 87-95 is the rewireing of the speedo-tac cluster. all in one unit to all seperate. the tac , the speedo, the indicator lights, the connectors etc are all different. maybe Addixionz will take a lot of pics and shit ! that will be a great help.

here are the pics i have taken so far. i will continue to add as i get closer to finish.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...0Electraglide/

later............

Paco - interesting that you're going from a RG fairing to an EG fairing. Just wondering why you are doing that.

My bike has a windshield and the "toaster dash" - basically an old FLHS configuration with a cable speedo and electronic tach - and I've thought about putting a fairing on it. I like the look of the RG frame-mounted fairing, and I'm wondering if your '99 RG fairing would fit my '95 front end.

PM me if you're interested in getting rid of your RG fairing... I might be interested in buying it from you if it would fit. Might have to fab some support brackets or something... but I could do the wiring.

paco 01-21-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg (Post 6128229)
Paco - interesting that you're going from a RG fairing to an EG fairing. Just wondering why you are doing that.

My bike has a windshield and the "toaster dash" - basically an old FLHS configuration with a cable speedo and electronic tach - and I've thought about putting a fairing on it. I like the look of the RG frame-mounted fairing, and I'm wondering if your '99 RG fairing would fit my '95 front end.

PM me if you're interested in getting rid of your RG fairing... I might be interested in buying it from you if it would fit. Might have to fab some support brackets or something... but I could do the wiring.

NGH,

I traded all the RG fairing and parts for the EG fairing with a fellow i met a few weeks ago by accident on a Toys for Tots ride. He wanted a RG and I wanted the EG. Mine was a 99 and his an 07.

I bought the RG back in 04 after I had a accident in Farmington, NM. while i was waiting on the insurance to pay for the 90 EG, i found the RG on Cycle trader. Thought i would like it, but i just like the batwing fairing better. I have put about 50,000 miles on the RG since i had it. I rebuilt the 90 EG and have 99,000 miles on it now. Just finished a 95 model SG. I wanted to put a 96+ fairing and gages on it, but I had already bought a speedo/tach cluster for the 90-95 inner fairing, before i found out what the inner fairing cost.
Friend of mine had a 90 FLHS. he bought inner and outer fairing for it.i think it was a 88-89, inner fairing was different from my 90 EG.

NGH, you can pick up nearly every thing you need on ebay. i was just there looking for a dash wiring harness for a 99 EG. the pics i posted showes everything you need for the conversion to a RG. There are only 2 metal brackets.

NorthGeorgiaHawg 01-21-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by paco (Post 6129330)
NGH,

I traded all the RG fairing and parts for the EG fairing with a fellow i met a few weeks ago by accident on a Toys for Tots ride. He wanted a RG and I wanted the EG. Mine was a 99 and his an 07.

I bought the RG back in 04 after I had a accident in Farmington, NM. while i was waiting on the insurance to pay for the 90 EG, i found the RG on Cycle trader. Thought i would like it, but i just like the batwing fairing better. I have put about 50,000 miles on the RG since i had it. I rebuilt the 90 EG and have 99,000 miles on it now. Just finished a 95 model SG. I wanted to put a 96+ fairing and gages on it, but I had already bought a speedo/tach cluster for the 90-95 inner fairing, before i found out what the inner fairing cost.
Friend of mine had a 90 FLHS. he bought inner and outer fairing for it.i think it was a 88-89, inner fairing was different from my 90 EG.

NGH, you can pick up nearly every thing you need on ebay. i was just there looking for a dash wiring harness for a 99 EG. the pics i posted showes everything you need for the conversion to a RG. There are only 2 metal brackets.

Thanks, Paco. I'll go take a look. I look on eBay all the time, but I have never looked there for a RG fairing.

I've always liked frame-mounted fairings. Had a '73 (I think) Kawasaki Z1 900 in the Olden Days with a frame-mounted Vetter Windjammer III on it, and loved it because it blocked the wind with no weight or wind to deal with on the bars. Even had two little pop-out vents in the windshield to keep cooler in the summer, and storage like the RG fairing.

ROKDWLR 01-25-2010 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine was an 89 EG until 2003. Then I wanted a Road King so I converted to the nacelle. The biggest problem was the top triple tree needing to be modified to eliminate the ignition. I also just upgraded to 2000 & up fork lowers to run larger brakes & have the same speedo problem. Now I'm adding a detachable fairing to have the best of both worlds. :icon_confused:

Good luck on your project & please post pictures.

Johnnyiroc 01-26-2010 07:32 PM

Someone put a batwing inner and outer fairing on my 87 FLHS before I bought it.
So yeah that is possible, but the fairing and inner is from the same generation of bike.

I need a schematic for the 87 because I need to know which wire should be what. Previous owner hacked in his headlight and such...I wanna make it right.

notlost_nc 01-27-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg (Post 6128229)

It may be easier to fit the Tour Glide fairing to your '95. They're plentiful on eBay, I think the TG flows through the air with less buffeting than the RG. Just a thought

Jeffrey Robinson 10-01-2022 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Teflon Tom (Post 6128097)
I have a 2003 fairing on my 94 with the gauges all of them work. I did have the transmission out and drilled the case for the speed sensor. The wiring harness I used was a Thunderheart, the original main harness was NFG. The harness for the gauges I made up using the 2003 wiring diagram.
If you want the pictures of the final look email me.

wanting to do the same to my 87 electric glide any help would be great

IBDAGRIZ 10-03-2022 12:14 PM

It's a 12 year old thread, so you might want to start a new one.

Griz