Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Installing a stator (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/497635-installing-a-stator.html)

bobofish 04-02-2010 06:09 AM

Installing a stator

I have a 98 FLHR, I'm installing a new stator and was conserned about the connections after reading somewhere about the poor connections they use from the factory may be the reason for the failure of the harley stators. what if I soldered the connections instead of the plug in connections on the stator? Or am I just wasting time on something that is just going to blow in time anyway. I don't run a bunch of lights, all stock except the trailer I pull around that I installed LED's on. Thanks Bob

galtjunk 04-02-2010 06:32 AM

The stock connector should work just fine. If you have a problem with it coming loose, there is a clip you can install to hold the connectors together.

sqdealgeorge 04-02-2010 07:06 AM

soldering is a quick fix It works but the plug is the way to go

grbrown 04-02-2010 07:10 AM

I am on my second replacement stator in 20 years ownership of my FLHS, but the connector is not the reason for changing. I would use it as is and save yourself extra effort.

t150vej 04-02-2010 07:28 AM

Use the plug, with some dielectric compound on the pins. The 32 amp stators have healthy pins and sockets whereas the 22 amp versions had the tiny pins that don't have any spring to them. They are the ones that tend have contact problems.

bobofish 04-02-2010 08:18 AM

Thanks guys! I will clean up the connections a bit and apply some dielectric compound to them. I tend to over do things at times!

bobofish 04-02-2010 08:23 AM

I edited and added a pic in my sig to show you all my ride but it doesn't show up????
I'll tinker a bit more.

FLS2FLH 04-02-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 6504767)
I am on my second replacement stator in 20 years ownership of my FLHS, but the connector is not the reason for changing. I would use it as is and save yourself extra effort.

I had an Evo Softail for almost 20 years - and just like you - two replacement stators in that period of time. I really think that being tuned in to when the are crapping out - around the 8 year mark - is a good idea. Mine used to cause my directionals to do funky things like - not work, then work... someone told me the control unit was very sensative to the normal operating voltage range and, when the stator would not put out enough A/C for the regulator to make 13.8V, funky things would start to happen.

Both times, I did not heed the warning - and the second time I was 4 hours from home! An ounce of prevention...

EVOrider 04-02-2010 05:52 PM

Check the rotor as well.....if something is not right, definatley replace it unless it is fairly new. Check out the voltage regulator too and including the battery.

Over years, I have seen several people replace the stator and rotor because they had an electrical problem. Only to find out that their voltage regulator was bad and the other stuff was fine.

Another thing, I don't know for sure if your '98 is EFI or not. Anyways, the stator is the same for both machines...however the rotor is different. FYI

Dr.Hess 04-02-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by EVOrider (Post 6507452)
Over years, I have seen several people replace the stator and rotor because they had an electrical problem. Only to find out that their voltage regulator was bad and the other stuff was fine.

That's because they didn't follow Dr.Hess' How To Diagnose Your Charging System.