EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Poor Bertha... stranded with electrical problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That's strange. I've never seen one fail quite like that, that is, no voltage output but with reasonable continuity between the leads and no short to the case. Weird. Inspect the rotor closely as well, although I can't think of a situation where there wouldn't be some voltage output, even if weak. I have seen some strange things happen with circuits under power that didn't happen when there was no power. I remember a TV set that blew fuses when plugged in but had no shorts when not plugged in. It only shorted at 115V.
It is strange, Doc. This has me quite confused as well. It's not shorted to ground nor to itself, the continuity is right, but there's no output, and no burnt smell in the primary. How can the windings have the right continuity, not be shorted, but have no output at all... at any RPM?

I started thinking about the rotor... I can't envision the rotor not spinning or something like that, because it's on the splined engine shaft and the compensating sprocket has it sandwiched there. And if a magnet had come off, it would make an awful racket, right? Nothing like that. I haven't taken anything apart yet to have a look-see though...

Just to be absolutely certain, I repeated all of the tests through three complete cycles. Stator output was 1.3 to 1.4 mV every time. I triple checked the meter to make sure it was actually saying millivolts, and it was.

This is one nasty little gremlin...

Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

just repeating what Dr.Hess asked in an earlier post....are you sure you are set to AC volts? If you are set to DC volts you will get unusual readings at the stator...You need it set for DC volts when measuring voltage just about everywhere else on the bike, but need to be set to AC volts for the stator.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mr1986FLST
just repeating what Dr.Hess asked in an earlier post....are you sure you are set to AC volts? If you are set to DC volts you will get unusual readings at the stator...You need it set for DC volts when measuring voltage just about everywhere else on the bike, but need to be set to AC volts for the stator.
NORTH GEORGIA HAWG APPOINTED AS VILLAGE IDIOT!!!

Oh man... Doc nailed it a long time ago, and you finally pounded it into my tiny, defective brain! Feel free to flatulate at will in my direction...

I was measuring DC volts, not AC volts! What a DUMBASS... I hate when I do stupid things like that. I finally read the damn instructions for the multimeter, and discovered that after I set the main dial to Volts, I then had to push a little button on it to set it to measure AC volts...

And Lo and Behold... there came a host of 20 volts from the stator at idle, and 36-38 volts at 2000 RPM! It AIN'T the stator after all, guys!

Sooooo... heh heh... that means it's the regulator?

Please accept my sincere apologies for sending you all out on this snipe hunt...

Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
NORTH GEORGIA HAWG APPOINTED AS VILLAGE IDIOT!!!

Oh man... Doc nailed it a long time ago, and you finally pounded it into my tiny, defective brain! Feel free to flatulate at will in my direction...

I was measuring DC volts, not AC volts! What a DUMBASS... I hate when I do stupid things like that. I finally read the damn instructions for the multimeter, and discovered that after I set the main dial to Volts, I then had to push a little button on it to set it to measure AC volts...

And Lo and Behold... there came a host of 20 volts from the stator at idle, and 36-38 volts at 2000 RPM! It AIN'T the stator after all, guys!

Sooooo... heh heh... that means it's the regulator?

Please accept my sincere apologies for sending you all out on this snipe hunt...
Hell man, I'm just glad you don't have to tear everything down to replace the stator, regulator should be a quick distraction compared to the stator! And bet you wont do that again!! LOL!!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Hell man, I'm just glad you don't have to tear everything down to replace the stator, regulator should be a quick distraction compared to the stator! And bet you wont do that again!! LOL!!
HA HA HA! You're damn right I won't!

And yes, I am very glad I just have to replace the regulator and not have to tear everything apart. I REALLY wasn't looking forward to that at all!

I can pick up a regulator at the dealer on my way home from work tomorrow and have Bertha back on the road before nightfall. I think she's smiling at me already...

Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It weren't u're fault it was all that upside down pineapple cake u ate. It do slow the brain down a notch or two. oh wait my bad you is off the cake well anyhow glad you got it figured out.

Last edited by teamstersteward; 06-15-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by HGM
Hey Ken,
I'd definitly do the breaker bar instead of the impact, in this case..I love my impact, but, I've heard enough horror stories about hammering on the crank pin causing flywheel issues. I'd rather not take the chance in this area since the breaker bar works as well as it does.. If you get in a jam and dont care to buy a socket, let me know. I work in Marietta and have a pretty good supply of just about any socket you might need if you want to borrow it, you'll just have to come get it.. I also replaced mine recently and have it on the bench. I'll take a look to see exactly what size it is since mine's a '94 and should be the same..
Hey Greg! Thanks for the info - and for your kind offer. There were so many posts, and I was so frustrated trying to figure this out, that I missed responding to some.

Interesting that the shop manual says to use an impact. Nice to know the comp nut is 1 1/2". I'll probably buy a socket if/when I need it... I am always willing to expand my tool chest for a good reason. Not too much day-to-day use for one that big though - unless you work on planes, trains, trucks, or tanks!

We should go riding sometime, since we're not very far from each other. Of course, it's hot as hell this time of year, but heat's never bothered me... I grew up in Texas, which is only a few degrees cooler than the surface of the sun in the summertime. Only a dead bike 40 miles from home bothers me! A big-*** T-storm just moved over my house and cooled it off about 20 degrees... so I'm not complaining. It's still hanging around and quite windy now... glad I wasn't caught out in it...

Wish I had gone out and bought a new regulator earlier, once I knew what I needed... I could have installed it tonight and ridden to Delta down at the airport tomorrow! Now I'll have to drive the Avalanche...

Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey hawg...I am glad it was just meter-mumbo and not your stator...it would suck to have gone through all that work and then put your meter on the stator when you were finished, just to get the same reading...I'm sure I'd hear the cursing all the way to here

Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
It weren't u're fault it was all that upside down pineapple cake u ate. It do slow the brain down a notch or two. oh wait my bad you is off the cake well anyhow glad you got it figured out.
HEY! That was Dale, Graham, and John over there with all that Pineapple Upside-Down Cake! I got NOTHING! Nothing but pictures that make me hungry... My wife doesn't bake and is on a health-food kick anyway... Everyone should feel sorry for me... and send me CAKE!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kabear
If I was a betting man I'd bet dollars to do-nuts that it is the regulator/battery. Something usually has to short the stator to take it out like the Dr says.
OK Kabear... you would have won that bet after all... It appears to be the regulator! Thanks for the battery info, too.

Quick Reply: Poor Bertha... stranded with electrical problems...