EVO All Evo Model Discussion

oil light is staying on

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 AM
jack1954
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil light is staying on

I have a 1994 softail with the EVO engine. The other night I was stuck in traffic for awhile and my oil light was coming on and going off. I assumed it was doing that because the engine was getting hot. I got out of the traffic and the light went out and today when I started it after it warmed up the light came back on. I checked the oil and it is fine. Could anyone help me with this?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,797 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Best case scenario is loose wire at the sending unit, bad sending unit, crap clogging sending unit, loose connection at the light, bad ground at the light.

Next would be pressure relief ball not seating, caused by bad spring, crap caught between ball and seat allowing oil to bypass.

Wrong grade of Oil.

Are the lifters noisy? If so you are loosing oil. If not then you are getting oil.

One thing to remember is the engine oil pump is actually an engine oil circulation unit. Works with low pressure but high volumn.

If engine is making new and unusual noise then don't run it. You have a real problem. If engine sounds normal then it is maybe ok to run, but should be checked out.

Before starting engine: look in oil tank, if oil disappeared over night problem found, pressure relief ball not seating or seated, problem found. DO NOT ADD OIL, UNLESS YOU KNOW WHERE IT WENT.

Start engine: wiggle wire at sending unit; light out, problem found.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 Springer lost oil pressure when the snap ring on the oil pump drive shaft lined up with the little woodruff keyway on the shaft. The snap ring ends were not closed tightly enough and the woodruff key slipped past it and fell out. The gear was then spinning freely on the shaft. My advice is get an inexpensive oil pressure gauge ($8 at Harbor Freight) remove the pressure switch and connect the gauge. A mechanical pressure gauge will tell you for sure if the problem is electrical or mechanical in nature.