EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with tick noise PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
redrott
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with tick noise PLEASE!

I swapped the cam in my evo. I had a couple post on here about that. Had it swapped actually by an indy shop. Well they used the gear on that came on the andrews cam instead of swapping on the stock one. Bike was quite when i got it back. About a week later it started ticking when warm. Is quite when cold. Tick isn't really loud but loud enough to drive me nuts when idling or going through a parking lot. I don't have the stock cam or gear didn't keep it because it was quite right after the swap. So what can I do? I am assuming this is the cause. New lifters were put in with the cam so pretty sure that isn't it checked the front exhaust pushrod today doesn't appear to be rubbing since I have heard this could happen. It is bad enough I almost don't want the bike anymore. Please give me some ideas.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the gear lash was too tight, you'd have a whine and that would be bad. I think a bit of valve train noise can be expected with more lift and duration. Did the indy use adjustable pushrods? If so, there's a chance that one could've loosened up, it happened to me except I was the one who installed it! If your noise gets worse, you'll need to check adjustment. Mine does make a bit more noise after the cam change but I can't hear it when accelerating and that's why you put a cam in isn't it?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe it's as simple as one of the lifters is bad, I had a new build years ago with new lifters and one brand new lifter was bad, adjusted the pushrods and the tick still wouldn't go away, put in a new lifter and that fixed it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on both of the above.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,710 Likes on 1,993 Posts

One other thing to check is your exhaust pipes flanges to make sure the nuts are tight, and you don't have an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak at the head can also make a "tick" noise. The pipes were removed to pull the nose cone and install the cam, and may not have been tightened properly, or may have loosened up a bit. This happened to me. Drove me nuts until I thought to check the exhaust flange nuts. Nice and quiet now.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same situation as Uncle G. After I changed out my cam I had a tick, usually when cold...It ended up being an exhaust leak at the front pipe connecting to the head. When I got it tightened down securely the tick went away.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

If the cam gear is loose fit it would cause a tic I believe. Did they change out the cam bearing to a Torrington when they changed the cam? Could also be they did not shim the new cam properly, and it slopping back and forth.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the above are possibilities, that said, I would talk to the installer to see if he can rule some out. Loose heat shield on the pipe can make a loud tick too.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM
redrott
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously the exhaust will be the first thing i check. Then what they used screaming eagle adjustables I don't know how many turns they take I don't have the instructions. After the exhaust what would you do next how do i know where the noise is coming from? I keep thinking it is the cam gear since they didn't use the stock one but it was quite at first. don't know why it would be quite at first and then make noise? I guess could be a lifter but I need to make sure they aren't cheap and don't want to swap them if I don't know they are bad.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Lifters are cheap. Change them.

Quick Reply: Help with tick noise PLEASE!