Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   91 Low Rider Inner primary removal (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/627961-91-low-rider-inner-primary-removal.html)

dockwatson 04-03-2011 08:05 PM

91 Low Rider Inner primary removal

I have an inner primary on my 91 Lowrider which seems to be stuck. I removed to several bolts inside the primary and the two up front on the outside of the primary, took the starter off, removed the mainshaft bearing retainer clip (probably unnecessary). The primary is loose from the motor, but won't let go on the tranny end. Am I forgetting something? Perhaps there is a bolt on the back side of the primary. Maybe the bearing is a press fit on the mainshaft?:icon_smash:

Doc

Spanners39 04-03-2011 09:03 PM

There are bolts behind the inner primary I believe....certainly were on an ex-police FXR I did last year.

dockwatson 04-04-2011 07:05 AM

inner primary removal

Thanks for the reply,man
The only thing I can find on the back is the starter nuts, which came off with the starter. Can you remember where the bolts might be? It is kinda dark and hard to see back there even with a flashlight.

Mike T 04-04-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dockwatson (Post 8142433)
Thanks for the reply,man
The only thing I can find on the back is the starter nuts, which came off with the starter. Can you remember where the bolts might be? It is kinda dark and hard to see back there even with a flashlight.

Take a block of wood or something and bump that inner primary. There shouldn't be anything holding it if you have all the front bolts out.

Spanners39 04-04-2011 04:13 PM

Ex Police ones have 2 bolts at the bottom, in line with the sporcket....don't think the others have them.

dockwatson 04-04-2011 08:48 PM

I found it. It was underneath just in front of the rear chain sprocket. It seems to serve no purpose, but it did anchor a grounding strap for the electrical system. I have taken a lot of primaries off and this is a first.

Doc

CYCLE 04-04-2011 09:05 PM

There should be 5 bolts with locking adjusters shown in picture and 2 long screws holding the starter from the right side of the bike
This pic is from last season when I was showing a friend how to replace the main drive belt. Even if the bolts are all removed its still a sucker to get off! Tap it with a block of wood!
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4436845_n.jpg

Bullhead73 06-26-2022 01:45 PM

FXR inner primary stuck

Originally Posted by dockwatson (Post 8140824)
I have an inner primary on my 91 Lowrider which seems to be stuck. I removed to several bolts inside the primary and the two up front on the outside of the primary, took the starter off, removed the mainshaft bearing retainer clip (probably unnecessary). The primary is loose from the motor, but won't let go on the tranny end. Am I forgetting something? Perhaps there is a bolt on the back side of the primary. Maybe the bearing is a press fit on the mainshaft?:icon_smash:

Doc

1985 FXRC inner primary is stuck. All bolts are out, tranny shaft is a little rough. Bearing race seems to be seized onto the tranny shift. Have been trying to tap it of (probably harder than I should be) and it won't budge. Have used PB blaster and heated and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Tommy C 06-26-2022 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bullhead73 (Post 20686580)
1985 FXRC inner primary is stuck. All bolts are out, tranny shaft is a little rough. Bearing race seems to be seized onto the tranny shift. Have been trying to tap it of (probably harder than I should be) and it won't budge. Have used PB blaster and heated and still no luck. Any suggestions?

There's a bolt on the back side that has to be removed. Don't pry or pound on a inner primary cover unless you intend on breaking it.

Bullhead73 06-26-2022 02:00 PM

Help!!!

Originally Posted by Mike T (Post 8142444)
Take a block of wood or something and bump that inner primary. There shouldn't be anything holding it if you have all the front bolts out.