EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Low Rider Inner primary removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM
dockwatson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Low Rider Inner primary removal

I have an inner primary on my 91 Lowrider which seems to be stuck. I removed to several bolts inside the primary and the two up front on the outside of the primary, took the starter off, removed the mainshaft bearing retainer clip (probably unnecessary). The primary is loose from the motor, but won't let go on the tranny end. Am I forgetting something? Perhaps there is a bolt on the back side of the primary. Maybe the bearing is a press fit on the mainshaft?

Doc

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 257 Posts

There are bolts behind the inner primary I believe....certainly were on an ex-police FXR I did last year.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
dockwatson
Intermediate
Smile inner primary removal

Thanks for the reply,man
The only thing I can find on the back is the starter nuts, which came off with the starter. Can you remember where the bolts might be? It is kinda dark and hard to see back there even with a flashlight.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dockwatson
Thanks for the reply,man
The only thing I can find on the back is the starter nuts, which came off with the starter. Can you remember where the bolts might be? It is kinda dark and hard to see back there even with a flashlight.
Take a block of wood or something and bump that inner primary. There shouldn't be anything holding it if you have all the front bolts out.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 257 Posts

Ex Police ones have 2 bolts at the bottom, in line with the sporcket....don't think the others have them.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
dockwatson
Intermediate

I found it. It was underneath just in front of the rear chain sprocket. It seems to serve no purpose, but it did anchor a grounding strap for the electrical system. I have taken a lot of primaries off and this is a first.

Doc

Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
CYCLE
Cruiser

There should be 5 bolts with locking adjusters shown in picture and 2 long screws holding the starter from the right side of the bike
This pic is from last season when I was showing a friend how to replace the main drive belt. Even if the bolts are all removed its still a sucker to get off! Tap it with a block of wood!

Old 06-26-2022, 01:45 PM
Bullhead73
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXR inner primary stuck

Originally Posted by dockwatson
I have an inner primary on my 91 Lowrider which seems to be stuck. I removed to several bolts inside the primary and the two up front on the outside of the primary, took the starter off, removed the mainshaft bearing retainer clip (probably unnecessary). The primary is loose from the motor, but won't let go on the tranny end. Am I forgetting something? Perhaps there is a bolt on the back side of the primary. Maybe the bearing is a press fit on the mainshaft?

Doc
1985 FXRC inner primary is stuck. All bolts are out, tranny shaft is a little rough. Bearing race seems to be seized onto the tranny shift. Have been trying to tap it of (probably harder than I should be) and it won't budge. Have used PB blaster and heated and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,748 Likes on 6,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead73
1985 FXRC inner primary is stuck. All bolts are out, tranny shaft is a little rough. Bearing race seems to be seized onto the tranny shift. Have been trying to tap it of (probably harder than I should be) and it won't budge. Have used PB blaster and heated and still no luck. Any suggestions?
There's a bolt on the back side that has to be removed. Don't pry or pound on a inner primary cover unless you intend on breaking it.

The following users liked this post:
Bullhead73 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM
Bullhead73
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!!!

Originally Posted by Mike T
Take a block of wood or something and bump that inner primary. There shouldn't be anything holding it if you have all the front bolts out.

Quick Reply: 91 Low Rider Inner primary removal