EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I guess I'm part of this clan now...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
GaugedFreak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess I'm part of this clan now...

Last weekend I bought a 1987 Harley FLHS.

I found it on craigslist the guy was asking $4000 for it. It said that it ran great but had a noise coming from the engine but it didn't affect performance. The guy put a 2000+ WideGlide front end on it, which looks utterly rediculous, a new stator and voltage reg, and S&S carb, the stock two-up seat and backrest as well as a corbin solo seat. I told the guy that if it runs and gets me home, I'm buying it... Which he said it would no problem.

Went up Friday night with cash in hand, he was actually out riding it when I called him. He said he'd meet me at his house in a couple of hours (I was an over an hour away and had to stop somewhere before going there.) When I got there he wasn't home yet, he pulled up on it shortly after I arrived. It didn't look bad other than the odd front end. The engine sound was obvious, sounded like a bolt bouncing around in the cam cover, so I took it for a spin. It rode nice and was extremely comfortable. Took me a few mins to get use to the brakes and riding position since my last bike was a Honda 929 sport bike, and I missed the Harley sound and feel.

Got back to the house and told him I was wanting to do the deal. He asked if I wanted the Red Hot Sunglo paint kit with it, I told him that I did not. He said ok, so $3500 for it then? My jaw almost dropped... He lowered the price $500 and I didn't even have to haggle with him. I said sounds great!

I rode it home about 60 miles in the dark that night. Had to wait until Sunday to ride it again unfortunately. My fiancee and I took it out for another 75 mile ride together. Along the way there were a couple of times that it backfired but we made it back home without instance.

I decided I'd take it up to the local Harley guy and talk to him about it, just to get his thoughts. He was a really nice older guy, who said he had parts laying around that he'd sell me cheap to get me back to stock forks. He pointed out a nice used ElectraGlide fender he had hanging on the wall that he said he'd sell me for $25. I told him I'd be back to pick it up soon. He said I got a steal on the bike, and that it shouldn't take to much to get her going. Gave me some pointers and answered a few questions I had.

On the way home the bike got temperamental on me. It started sputter coming up a hill, and fell flat on it's face. I thought maybe it was running out of fuel so I pulled into the Movie Theater parking lot, switch to reserve and tried to get it to fire up again. It tried, but just didn't want to go. I think I flooded her out. Finally got it started, but would cut out when I'd twist the throttle. Coasted into the gas station and put gas in it. Only took 3 gallons to fill up, so I think it had plenty of fuel left. Pulled the plugs, they were super fouled. I cleaned them the best I could and fired it up again. It let me get most of the way home until I pulled up to the light next to my house (first time I tried to stop) sputtered and died again.

Going to have to get some new and spare plugs for it. Also, need to check it over and see what's going on. Still super happy to have it in my possession though. I've got an '88 FLH front end coming, going to pickup the fender soon, and will tear into it when I get back from my honeymoon in a week.

Have a pic of it in my garage if anyone cares.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

pics are always nice. sounds like a great deal if nothing major is causing your running issues.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM
GaugedFreak
Advanced

Have a pic of it in my garage if anyone cares.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 PM
GaugedFreak
Advanced
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

Welcome to EVO's, the last tractor HD! lol

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lookin good. Interesting front end. Enjoy, you got a good deal there.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good, look better when you get that FLH fron end on it!

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM
GaugedFreak
Advanced

Just got back from my Honeymoon and I have an '88 FLT front end sitting at my desk waiting for me! The only reason for actually wanting to come back to work. Good times. lol

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
crankbait33
2nd Gear

Well Im a distant friend of the OP, and a friend of both ours bought this from him, so I was tasked on completing the original vision of this bike, so here it is, the finished product.

Last edited by crankbait33; 04-03-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice R&R.

Quick Reply: I guess I'm part of this clan now...