Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Oil blow from crankcase breather (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/741218-oil-blow-from-crankcase-breather.html)

myneksred 03-07-2012 09:18 AM

Oil blow from crankcase breather

I recently rebuilt my engine on my 1994 FXSTS and now i am experiencing excessive oil coming from my crankcase breather. i have stretched the springs in my oil pump and still have the problem i was wandering if antone would has any ideas as to what would be causing the problem.
Hillbilly

blair 03-07-2012 05:34 PM

your oil tank may have to much oil in it ..... take a little bit out . You dipstick may read full , still take a little bit out

tc 03-07-2012 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like oil breather, cam and pinion gears may not be aligned correctly.

Bama91 03-07-2012 05:51 PM

Is it blowing at idle or on the road? Is it an aftermarket breather that you attached yourself? If it is positioned where air blows into the breather while riding it will not breathe and build up pressure and blow oil out when the pressure overcomes the outside force. Try repositioning the breather so wind pressure isn't against it while riding.

miacycles 03-07-2012 05:59 PM

What was stated above plus are the umbrella valves sealing?? What kind of rings and how many miles on the rebuild?? How hard are you riding it?? Are you sure the rings are in right side up and gapped properly??

myneksred 03-08-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by miacycles (Post 9493234)
What was stated above plus are the umbrella valves sealing?? What kind of rings and how many miles on the rebuild?? How hard are you riding it?? Are you sure the rings are in right side up and gapped properly??

There is 200 miles on the rebuild. It is blowing at idle. I have not been riding hard following the break in period rules not overreving or let the engine chug. all the gaps are right and the rings are in properly.

myneksred 03-08-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bama91 (Post 9493199)
Is it blowing at idle or on the road? Is it an aftermarket breather that you attached yourself? If it is positioned where air blows into the breather while riding it will not breathe and build up pressure and blow oil out when the pressure overcomes the outside force. Try repositioning the breather so wind pressure isn't against it while riding.

the breather was on the bike when i bought it. i do not have breather heads on the bike. will try repositioning the breather.

miacycles 03-08-2012 10:55 AM

Your bike should be a top breather. If your bike is a bottom breather, there is a piece of plastic that is a seperator that takes the oil out of the air going out of the breather. It goes in the tube that is in the gearcase below the breather gear. Is that in place???

myneksred 03-08-2012 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by miacycles (Post 9496173)
If your bike is a bottom breather, there is a piece of plastic that is a seperator that takes the oil out of the air going out of the breather. It goes in the tube that is in the gearcase below the breather gear. Is that in place???

WHere is this peice of plastic located do I need to Pull the cam cover to see it?

miacycles 03-08-2012 04:46 PM

Yes it is inside the cam cover, to the rear and slightly below the breather assembly. It is a round tube that goes horizantly through the case.