EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Looking for a tourer - seeking advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I love my '96. May very well be the last bike I ever own.
Plan on being dead soon??

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 96 FHLTC-I in January of 2011 for $6500. It had about 34k on it at the time. There were a few cosmetic scratches here and there but overall in good shape. I had a top end job done on it because the rear base gasket was seeping. I also had to replace the clutch plates and tore the primary all the way down this winter to fix a leaking gasket between the tranny and primary, don't have my manual so i can't remember the nomenclature. It came with the detachable tour pack already on it and I have not had any issues finding parts or accessories for it. I'm closing in on 42k miles now and she's still running strong.

On the other hand my friend has an '04 Ultra Classic with just uner 40k. He just had to replace a bearing in the primary I think because it was getting noisy, maybe it was the cam bearings, I can't remember. He also paid to change to the gear driven cam and replaced the chain tensioner, I think he dropped about $4000 into it.

There's lots of old tourers out there I see for sale all the time for under $10 grand, even if you had to put a little money into freshening up the gaskets and seals the EVO is supposed to be rebuidable multiple times.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

... just a follow-up. My "Precious" Wide Glide is now gone/sold. Now to start shopping for a Road Glide!!

How does this look?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2935209246.html

I'm not really after high-performance, but upgrades at someone else's expense is fine with me.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

99 should be the first year of the twin-cam, I would look for a 98, I'm also not a fan of spoke wheels on a touring machine. They flex to much in turns and are not a easy flat fix in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Mountainkowboy; 04-06-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by texasridr
I'm selling my Dyna and also a BMW RT, and getting a bagger so I can do all the types of riding I want to on just one motorcycle. I love the sound of my carb'd Evo, but I'm not opposed to the fuel injected TC either. My time for wrenching on my bike is quite limited; I'll only do the easy stuff.

If you were shopping for an Electra-Glide Standard (with maybe a trunk added) or a Tour Glide/Road Glide, what years would you focus on and why? Where's the best value on these bike?
My budget is around $10-12,000.

Thanks!
Ok well I'm going to say your choices are not limited but rationed. The efi/TC's for the first 6-10 years all have issues ranging from the efi itself to the cams to valves....and just wait till you try and get the damn thing to sound like a Harley, you will go broke just trying pipes, and remapping, and tuning.....the list of reasons is vast. Some people who have never had an evo don't know any better, but once you have you find out after making the jump into the newer technology that it's a ok scoot but just not as reliable or as fun. I'm glad to hear you don't have a lot of time to wrench on a bike, because aside from the routine oil change and general stuff, when something does go wrong you will need a dealer with a computer and a stack of cash to get it fixed.

I'm not bashing the TC's all together the frames are great, the comforts are good and the gadgetery is entertaining, but that sounds more like a description of a Honda than the Harley I've been riding my whole life. And dreaming f before that. If you really want to join the 21st century and think you can be happy then by all means get the new bike, or newer anyhow, but remember I have counted in the last six months over 20 people on this website saying " I wish I would have never got rid of my evo for this TC'? Guess how many people I've heard say that about an evo........that's right my amigo....none!

That said I would suggest an evolution, for the budget you can do real well. I'd say a 97-98 evo ........with that kinda money to invest you are likely going to be able to get one with very low miles , well taken care of, with all the needed upgrades that will make it Dependable and trouble free. I'd like to say something here.....the evolution had some issues the first few years with minor things like any new model era Harley, but that power plant meaning the engine and trains were nearly bullet proof, Harley switched to the efi twin cam out of necessity to compete with a growing market of competitors and a new generation of riders who's wallets had not yet been tapped, in doing so they shot themselves in the foot. They by their own admission could have built the evo platform in larger bores with just as much if not more power than the TC's they put out the first four years of the tcs run.

I got a 97 electraglide classic fully loaded with all maintience records and upgraded cam, carb etc , an almost stock perfect upgraded version with 24 ,000 miles on it that needed minor cosmetic work. I paid 8995.00 from a dealer, invested another grand to make it mine and polish the blemishes which were few. For under ten grand I have a bike that will need very little besides oil changes and regular maintience over the next several years. I suspect any TC you get in your price range will likely be someone else's headache for yOu, barring the exceptional golden egg you are not likely to be happy for long.

Since your comming from an evo dyna you could wind up happy on any 97 or 98 evo touring class bike, my suggestion for you s the road king, unless you have to have a stereo and you might find one with a stereo if you shop around, the rk's tend to offer a ton of flexibility in looks, style and performance, they are exceedingly the most popular touring Harley.......easy to make your own, and likely you will find be decked to your liking with the funds Your willing to spend, if the rk's is not touring enough and you want a full blown bagger the Electra glide classics are the next best bet followed by the sg, and ultra classics.

I hope my novel didn't bore you. But you asked for opinions. This was mine. Follow your heart and then your gut. You can get the best evo's have to offer and be happy and not sacrifice power, sound, and performance ....one last thing...aside from the frames, the styling f the touring lineup is really about the same now as it was in 86 , look st he basic style of the batters, fairings, etc and you will see it has not changed, it was not broken so even the MOCO didn't bother tying to fix it.....not to much anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your choice let me know where you end up brother.....peace!

P.s. I went to the dealer with a blank check from my bank. Money didn't matter. I could have chosen any we bike. I went well researched and knowledgable, I looked at a dozen bikes from a 2012 road king to mt Electra and in the end I chose the EVO.....it's nothing personal it was just good sense . I'm happier than I could have been with any new POS twin cam.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 04-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by texasridr
... just a follow-up. My "Precious" Wide Glide is now gone/sold. Now to start shopping for a Road Glide!!

How does this look?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2935209246.html

I'm not really after high-performance, but upgrades at someone else's expense is fine with me.

It looks and reads to be ok, look it over real well, call the dealer and verify everything, if he's telling the truth it might be a great find, I'd look some more though, it's a shark nose so you may not like the extended reach feel of the stretched out fairing, beyond that my only gripe is the tires and rims, I never understood spokes on a touring bike, flat tires on a glide suck. Complicate that with spokes and it sucks more. Try n find an Electra glide I think again for the money you have there's a much better bike waiting for you. You will love the ergonomics of the bat wing. Plus most e glide classics come with nice mag rims.....

Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
texasridr
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joboo1966
Ok well I'm going to say your choices are not limited but rationed. The efi/TC's for the first 6-10 years all have issues ranging from the efi itself to the cams to valves....and just wait till you try and get the damn thing to sound like a Harley, you will go broke just trying pipes, and remapping, and tuning.....the list of reasons is vast. Some people who have never had an evo don't know any better, but once you have you find out after making the jump into the newer technology that it's a ok scoot but just not as reliable or as fun. I'm glad to hear you don't have a lot of time to wrench on a bike, because aside from the routine oil change and general stuff, when something does go wrong you will need a dealer with a computer and a stack of cash to get it fixed.

I'm not bashing the TC's all together the frames are great, the comforts are good and the gadgetery is entertaining, but that sounds more like a description of a Honda than the Harley I've been riding my whole life. And dreaming f before that. If you really want to join the 21st century and think you can be happy then by all means get the new bike, or newer anyhow, but remember I have counted in the last six months over 20 people on this website saying " I wish I would have never got rid of my evo for this TC'? Guess how many people I've heard say that about an evo........that's right my amigo....none!

That said I would suggest an evolution, for the budget you can do real well. I'd say a 97-98 evo ........with that kinda money to invest you are likely going to be able to get one with very low miles , well taken care of, with all the needed upgrades that will make it Dependable and trouble free. I'd like to say something here.....the evolution had some issues the first few years with minor things like any new model era Harley, but that power plant meaning the engine and trains were nearly bullet proof, Harley switched to the efi twin cam out of necessity to compete with a growing market of competitors and a new generation of riders who's wallets had not yet been tapped, in doing so they shot themselves in the foot. They by their own admission could have built the evo platform in larger bores with just as much if not more power than the TC's they put out the first four years of the tcs run.

I got a 97 electraglide classic fully loaded with all maintience records and upgraded cam, carb etc , an almost stock perfect upgraded version with 24 ,000 miles on it that needed minor cosmetic work. I paid 8995.00 from a dealer, invested another grand to make it mine and polish the blemishes which were few. For under ten grand I have a bike that will need very little besides oil changes and regular maintience over the next several years. I suspect any TC you get in your price range will likely be someone else's headache for yOu, barring the exceptional golden egg you are not likely to be happy for long.

Since your comming from an evo dyna you could wind up happy on any 97 or 98 evo touring class bike, my suggestion for you s the road king, unless you have to have a stereo and you might find one with a stereo if you shop around, the rk's tend to offer a ton of flexibility in looks, style and performance, they are exceedingly the most popular touring Harley.......easy to make your own, and likely you will find be decked to your liking with the funds Your willing to spend, if the rk's is not touring enough and you want a full blown bagger the Electra glide classics are the next best bet followed by the sg, and ultra classics.

I hope my novel didn't bore you. But you asked for opinions. This was mine. Follow your heart and then your gut. You can get the best evo's have to offer and be happy and not sacrifice power, sound, and performance ....one last thing...aside from the frames, the styling f the touring lineup is really about the same now as it was in 86 , look st he basic style of the batters, fairings, etc and you will see it has not changed, it was not broken so even the MOCO didn't bother tying to fix it.....not to much anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your choice let me know where you end up brother.....peace!

P.s. I went to the dealer with a blank check from my bank. Money didn't matter. I could have chosen any we bike. I went well researched and knowledgable, I looked at a dozen bikes from a 2012 road king to mt Electra and in the end I chose the EVO.....it's nothing personal it was just good sense . I'm happier than I could have been with any new POS twin cam.
--- Totally NOT boring Joboo, in fact, I'll re-read again tomorrow... Thank you for taking the time to write it!!

I'll have to take another look at the RK. Because I'm 6'4" w/36" inseam and thin build, I've thought the RK was a little low and long styling for me, but I haven't spent any effort exploring it. Ever since I saw a new 98 Standard, I've loved the style of that bike too. I've got some good options for sure, and plenty of time. The BMW is still in the garage!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

I can see there aren't many glides on Craigslist in your area, check the inventory in person at all dealerships but remember they will try hook or crook to sell you a TC ....insist on the evo....they make just as much off the trades. Go slow don't rush into that glide you posted.....I got a bad gut feelin on that bike...I'm usually right....don't wanna see u get screwed......unless she's really hot.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

The '99 Road Glide on Craigslist is EFI.....still the old Magnetti Marelli. Not a terrible system, but as soon as it is not operating right....it can be frustrating. Without a scanalyzer and breakout box, it's hard to keep it within spec. This system kinda reminds me of Automotive Feedback carburetors from the 1980's!

It also had the old style brakes, weak swingarm, and the very last year of mechanical drive speedometers.

I believe the '99 models also had a cam bolt support plate recall.

Like I said earlier, 1998 EVO or a 2002-2004 TC.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the above bring up good points. Here's my two cents worth!! If you are really thinking about "touring" then the Ultra and the Road Glide styles are the way to go. They are the ultimate in cruising comfort. I like both and currently have an FLHT. When I buy another bike it will be a Road Glide as I feel they are a great bang for the buck, plus I believe the fixed fairing helps the handling at high speeds. Additionally they have radios so that you can enjoy those long trips even more. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Looking for a tourer - seeking advise