Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Closing Petcock for Storage (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/921310-closing-petcock-for-storage.html)

McMurphy 11-10-2013 08:09 PM

Closing Petcock for Storage

Hey

I have a question about storing the bike for the winter.

I usually fill the tank and add Stabil...then run it for a while.
Heres the question:
Close the petcock....or leave it open?

If you close it.....wont the carb bowl dry out?

Wouldnt leaving the petcock open keep fuel in the system or carb....and eliminate the bowl drying out?

Ive never closed the petcock....even if it sits for a week....no problems.

Thanks
Murph

HarDlife 11-10-2013 08:38 PM

Leaving the petcock open for extended periods can cause the fuel to overflow and drain into your crankcase.

rmeg08 11-10-2013 08:49 PM

My understanding is, shut off the petcock for long term storage.

Artlee 11-10-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by HarDlife (Post 11971354)
Leaving the petcock open for extended periods can cause the fuel to overflow and drain into your crankcase.

^this. Especially if, as I do, you have a gravity fed petcock.
Ride it with some Sta-bil Marine in the tank. Fill the tank, shut the petcock.
Goodnight Irene. See ya in April.
Certainly there are higher degrees of protection that you can pursue, but my bike starts quickly, every year. I do pull and tend the battery as well.
( I may try sea foam someday )

roadhog96 11-10-2013 10:56 PM

It really matters what type of petcock you have. If it's a vacuum petcock then it won't matter whether it's open or closed when the bike is off. If it's a mechanical petcock then it should be closed. It won't hurt if the bowl dries up as long as the gas that was in it was treated with stabilizer, it won't leave a mess. If you float fails or the needle seat leaks by the gas tank will empty itself onto your garage floor via the carb vent. For this reason I have shut off valves on all my small engine power equipment. Snowblower, tractor, generator, lawnmower and power washer. I have seen a gas tank dump itself empty through the carb and there was no way to stop it. The petcock is on the tank for a reason.

traildog 11-11-2013 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artlee (Post 11971543)
^this. Especially if, as I do, you have a gravity fed petcock.
Ride it with some Sta-bil Marine in the tank. Fill the tank, shut the petcock.
Goodnight Irene. See ya in April.
Certainly there are higher degrees of protection that you can pursue, but my bike starts quickly, every year. I do pull and tend the battery as well.
( I may try sea foam someday )

A wise man............

grbrown 11-11-2013 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by rmeg08 (Post 11971392)
My understanding is, shut off the petcock for long term storage.

I've always turned the darned thing off after each ride! What else is it for?! :icon_mrgreen:

Vincewd 11-11-2013 07:38 AM

I'm also turn is to close when finish riding, habit as long as I can remember. if the bikes are parked they are closed .

Iceman24 11-11-2013 07:44 AM

If you don't close the petcock...worse things will happen than bowl drying out. I've gone into the garage and found fuel spillage/odor everywhere and one click of the electrical switch could (opener, light, etc.) could open your house up to nature. :O

texashillcountry 11-11-2013 07:53 AM

I close the petcock every time I stop the bike.

I don't have any experience with putting a bike up for winter but I'd also drain the carb if I was.

Just my 2 cents.