Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Actually looking for quiet pipes (no, really!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 AM
homyakchik
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually looking for quiet pipes (no, really!)

Hi, all

My first HD's an '05 Electra Glide Ultra Classic (thought it was just an EGC, but a VIN search turned up the Ultra as well). A week into it, it's still a learning experience, but I'm just happy to be back on two wheels.

So far, most of the 'problems' (my previous touring experience was a Goldwing) are just things added to the HD learning curve. The ride's comfortable enough, and I actually have a manual so I can tweak things.

(It amazed me to see how many people mod their bikes--and how many mods people have come up with. I like this community already.

BUT: my bike has stock pipes (I guess), and since I use it every day as my commuting bike, the noise is beginning to irritate. I went for a HD more for the look-and-feel than the noise (I live in the country. Sometimes stealth cycling is nice). I've looked through the posts, and seen a number of people discussing replacement mufflers (pro and con, louder and softer) and re-packing of mufflers. So far most of them seem to boil down to "they're quiet, but not quite as quiet as stock" which is disconcerting.

So can anyone tell me just straight up if there are any mufflers out there that are _quieter_ than the stock pipes on an EGC? I don't need it to be as quiet as my old Goldwing (I don't think that's possible), but it'd be nice to enjoy my new old bike without getting a headache putting it to work.

(Failing that: is it possible to re-pack a muffler in some way, with something, that will serve to quiet it down?)

And if I left off needful information to get a good answer, just tell me. Like I say, I'm new to Harleys.

Thanks!

Davey
--The worst day of the year on a bike beats the best day of the year in a car

Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Actually looking for quiet pipes (no, really!)

I have stock mufflers for an 06 Ultra. I had the Screaming Eagle II's put on when I bought it. I will take a fair price for them. I don't think they sell anything out there thatis quieter than stock. You can email me at jkoch@aol.com.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM
DDGLIDER
Intermediate

this is for jeff... do you have any problems with excessive "popping" with the se2's? i have an o5 glide with v&h classic ovals ( 4" mufflers) its been to hd dealer 2x now. hd says its normal. im about ready to change them. how do you like yours?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I have learned. I bought the SEII's and SE AC and stage 1 download. Bike started popping on decel. Ran real hot. Searched this forum and found out about the PCIII and SERT. PCIII was within my budget so I got one. Had my bike dynotuned. Ran like a scalded ape but used to much gas and was still hot. I found several other MAPS for the PCIII and modified them to run cooler, save gas and to stop the decel popping. Happy as hell with my PCIII. I have many maps that I have changd to suit the type of riding I will be doing. I can change my map in about 60 seconds. Hopes that helps.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try RB Racing. www.rbracing-rsr.com
They make a 2-1 pipe called the Black Hole which is supposed to be pretty quiet. Nice folks to talk to directly if you have questions.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
jbarbarian
Cruiser

Loud pipes save lives!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on the underside of the pipes. There should be an EPA statement that they meet the 80db level, and a Harley part number. That, and a dealer's look see, if needed, should tell you if they are stock.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 AM
homyakchik
Intermediate

Thanks to all for the comments; they're helpful (especially the one about where to check to see what model muffler I've actually got). I'll go look up the Black Hole mufflers here in just a minute.

And what jbarbarian said: I saw a comment in a news article (one of the ones about cities considering noise ordinances about motorcycles) where a young lady pointed out that she wants the cars next to her to know she's there, and I agree; the louder pipes do draw attention (they did the other morning during the commute. I just rumbled a little and the wandering van hastily corrected his course .

Dj

Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only mufflers I have found that were quieter than stock were a set of '07 CVO Ultra take-offs from a FLHTCUSE. They have catalytic elements and hurt my '06 Ultra's performance - too much back pressure my dyno tuner guy said. The Screaming Eagle 4" street performance mufflers (64985-07) are just a bit louder than stock ones but have a deeper sound. The latest version of these SE mufflers (64985-07A) are perhaps a bit louder than last year's non-A suffix mufflers according to reports on this forum.
Dorkman may be on the right track. If the mufflers on your bike are too loud, they may well not be stock. Checking the part numbers on the side of the mufflers is the only way to know for sure. The left and right mufflers have different part numbers on Harley stock mufflers on the later model touring bikes which are what I have experience with.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the RB Racing Blackholes and they are not quieter than stock, they are a bit louder than the SE slipons, but quieter than the V&H rolled ovals. The RB site has sound clips of the pipes.

Quick Reply: Actually looking for quiet pipes (no, really!)