Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Pros and cons of stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
skyking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pros and cons of stage 1?

Thanks for all the responses guys! Am I correct to assume that I can do the download and the air cleaner and leave the stock pipes on, then change the pipes later if I want a different sound?

Rick

Old 02-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think that's about it. How do you get the download from the computer into the scoot? At a dealer or can it be done at home and what is needed?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:08 PM
ebaswell
Advanced

I did some research on this before I upgraded. If you want to do your own remaps, you'll need to buy either a Harley Race Tuner or a Power Commander. The Power Commander III USB (PCIII) has a USB port that you can run right to your laptop, and it's about $100 less than the Race Tuner...but there's a catch...

According to both Harley dealers in my area, if something goes wrong on your bike and the dealership has to disconnect a PCIII from your EFI, it zeroes out the computer chip that holds the diagnostic information, or in other words, though it doesn't void the warranty, Harley can't run diagnostics on your bike if you have a PCIII installed. I don't know (or think) this holds true for the Race Tuner.

What I finally asked myself was "How many times am I going to change the configuration on my bike that will require a remap?" At $150 per remap, the PCIII would not pay for itself until the third remap, the Race Tuner would be on the fourth remap. For me personally, I don't forsee needing to make that many changes. With the cost of a Stage 2 or Stage 3 upgrade, $150 is going to disappear in the bill anyway.

The PCIII company claims their performance is more efficient than both the stock mapping or what you can get from your dealer. Personally, the dealer did my remap and my bike runs great.

That's my take...hope it helps.

Ed

Old 02-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

thanx for the info, ebaswell. Good point on cost per remap. My local shop, not a dealership, says if they install the stage one for me with the 1000mi service, they will throw in the remap gratis.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a huge fan of the Power Commander, or for that matter, the Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner.
If you don't factor in the cost of dyno time to dial them in, you're wasting money.
Although some of the predetermined maps may be alright for some setups, most engines will only get the best results on the dyno.
So, factor in a few hours of dyno time to the cost of the "black box".
For most apps, the H-D cartridge ECM downloads will be all you need.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:02 AM
lostinal
Cruiser

I agree Loud saves LIVES , If they don't see me they will hear me coming!!!
But to each his own .
lostinal

Old 02-16-2005, 07:55 AM
investorsc
Road Master

If you have the race tuner, can it be used on multiple bikes? We are getting one for the ULTRA 103 project- but have the SE Deuce. I know the "Programmer" for our DUramax Chevy Truck allows the data to be used with only one vehicle....... Just a question [sm=feedback.gif]

BRUCE

Old 02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

ebaswell that's a good explanation, it's the way I was going to say it, any way I had the Stage1 ac kit with the remap and you can for sure tell a big difference, SEII muffler's, 5 to 7 hp and about the same in torque, the remap 7 to 10 and also about the same in TQ, this is a ruff estimate but that's what the dealer told me and what the book's claim also, it will be a good $300 well spent.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 AM
bigB
Intermediate

The loud pipe thing has just about ran it's course.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Old 02-16-2005, 12:38 PM
dm_gsxr
Cruiser

American Iron said it was probably the best upgrade you could do so I got a stage one with SEII slipons. I've probably put 25 or 30k on them with no problems. On the plus side you have a bit more horsepower and a louder sound, on the minus side, you've lost a few miles per gallon. After I got mine, I noticed it was a little stronger but my mileage went from 46mpg (three two way trips to work) to about 42mpg (2.5 two way trips to work). It wasn't much of a mileage loss but enough to make it borderline for going to work three days without fillup vs two days.

Carl

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of stage 1?