Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lifter roller bearing died. Do I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
SnailTraX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter roller bearing died. Do I have a problem?

Hey guys. I need some feedback from all who might know. Feel free to speak up. I have a 1994 EVO in a fatboy. I found a deal on a new andrews EV 27 cam and lifters. I had a little excessive lifter noise so I was needing to change them and install new pushrods anyway. Engine has 40,000 miles and had a crane fireball 316. It also had the torrington bearing installed by the previous owner when he did the cam. These were factory lifters I think. When I pulled her apart, the lobe farthest away from the gear was chewed up a little. The roller on the lifter is also really loose. The edges of the cam lobe are chewed up too. Also the spot on the cam that rides on the torrington is worn a little. My questions are,

1. Are the lifter roller needle pieces that got loose, going to cause me any trouble down the road?

2. Which way does the oil flow?

3. Did the filter catch all of it, or not. I have read on here that other folks have had similar problems with the roller coming apart and the just replace the lifters and ride.

4. Can I flush the sump? Is there a drain?

5. Is this wise?

6. Should I look at the pump or just ride?

Thanks, SnailTraX

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lifter roller bearing died. Do I have a problem?

Remove the oil pump, this will tell the story. Post what you have found, take picture and post it if you can.