Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

black D&D FATCATS blueing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black D&D FATCATS blueing

my muffleer is blueing and they are black....ialso have rust forming on one of the heatshields and the muffler has somme bubbling and paint peel with rust under it.&nbsp\\; anyone else have this problem

Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: black D&D FATCATS blueing

Honestly my Black Fatcat is the highest quality pipe I've ever had.&nbsp\\; No discoloration of any type, and certainly no rust. I'd call D&amp\\;D.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had 2 sets of chrome slash cut slip-ons from Samson.&nbsp\\; Both have rusted right away.&nbsp\\; The first showed rust at about 1 month.&nbsp\\; I sent them back and they were great to deal with\\; sent a new pair out quickly.&nbsp\\; The second pair did the same thing... I didn't feel like dealing with them about it after that.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Road King Craig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH THUNDERHEADERS, Not to be a smart ***??? but Iv'e read many posts on this site where everyone kicked the quality&nbsp\\;of the THUNDERHEADERS! Well I have a&nbsp\\; 2-1 Thunderheader with leftside falsee on my 2008 rkc&nbsp\\;and the fit sucked ! but i gotter done!&nbsp\\;I have over 500 miles on my Headers with NO PROBLEMS ! Great SOUND !! I love my T-HEADERS. Its just refreshing to see a product that is supposed to be flawless get a below average review from a Biker, Hope things work out for ya brother
Tj

Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

SE, I would be definitely be giving D&amp\\;D a call about those issues.&nbsp\\; A quality pipe should not be doing that at all, unless you are running extremely lean, but I'm sure that you would know that with how it runs.&nbsp\\; It would be popping and backfiring all the time for an extreme lean condition.&nbsp\\; Since you bought it thru the HD dealer, they should have to stand behind it also.&nbsp\\; Hope it all works out, because I am still seriously considering those pipes for my XBones.&nbsp\\; Jerry

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
caspr2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

my muffleer is blueing and they are black....ialso have rust forming on one of the heatshields and the muffler has somme bubbling and paint peel with rust under it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; anyone else have this problem
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;So a little high temp grill paint? That should fix all your problems. Back a few years before muffler heat shields we used to ture our bike according to the colors they were turning, never seemed to bother anyone.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 AM
RattleTrap
Advanced

I ran those same pipes for a few years on my NT and never had any rust anywhere. The finish on the heatshields don't look new anymore, but as already suggested some BBQ paint will take care of that. Oh, and there's that chunk of my rain pants melted on...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
extech
Road Master

I've sold a bunch of D&amp\\;D 2:1s&nbsp\\;also, never seen rust. I'm sure they'll take care of it though.
Black pipe with blueing? Either you're running it really hard or it's running really lean, black pipes are kind of a hot rod look anyway, the blueing should look cool!????

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
karlrockdrain
Advanced

Have the same issue with the rust spots on my Black fatcat and no i'm not running it lean. Pipe has been on a 07 117 with 7000miles on it and there are lots of rust spots on the heat sheilds and the muffler. Looks ugly now, so i am getting them powdercoated as i type. Bit hard to return to D&amp\\;D as im in Australia.
Put 14000miles on a chrome Fatcat on last bike and had no issues at all.
&nbsp\\;
karlrockdrain