Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam opinions for a light softail...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 PM
G5jive
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam opinions for a light softail...

Well, I opened it up today and the inner tensioner is ready to blow at 23K easy miles. I was nearly ready to upgrade to gear drive cams (even though I'm recovering from an indiscretion with Ride wright last week in the form a of anew 21" 80 spoker). I researched previous posts and most replies seem to be from you guys running baggers. I'm considering dropping in either the Andrews 26 or 37G cams. Any opinions on how they might run in a light softail with an otherwise stock motor aside from a mikuni 42, open stack and straight 1 3/4" drags? I might do the top up to 95" with mild headwork in the future so room to grow would be nice also. I usually ride solo and am pretty light at 160. I'm concerned with torque up to 4.5 to 5 grand and am looking to get a nice cammed up sound. Thanks for the input...

Jess

Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: Cam opinions for a light softail...

well, you will get a lot of recomendations here! I would get the head work now and get the cams to match.
&nbsp\\;
If not then the Andrews 37s are good and have a good rep. the Woods 6 has a great rep too, but are around 100$ more. the Head-Quarters cams are a great choice but work best as a package and they only offer 1 bolt in cam the 0034 or TC 500. all these cams work good with a 95 or 103.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM
G5jive
Cruiser

I would love to do the headwork now, but can't swing it with my budget. The cams are a priority with the worn tensioners.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

I'm concerned with torque up to 4.5 to 5 grand
&nbsp\\;
There are better choices of cams w/headwork, but with stock heads your description sounds like a perfect call for the Andrews 26's...&amp\\; they'll get even better when you go 95". The only prob you may have is keeping the bugs outta your teeth &amp\\; rubber on your rear tire.
&nbsp\\;
VicW.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM
G5jive
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Sleeps In Trees

I'm concerned with torque up to 4.5 to 5 grand
\\\\\\;
There are better choices of cams w/headwork, but with stock heads your description sounds like a perfect call for the Andrews 26's...&\\\\\\; they'll get even better when you go 95". The only prob you may have is keeping the bugs outta your teeth &\\\\\\; rubber on your rear tire.
\\\\\\;
VicW.
I'm concerned that the 26s might not be hot enough. They are relatively low lift.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
jrdinatale
Intermediate

if you're really concerned with torque dump those drag pipes.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrdinatale

&nbsp\\;
AMEN!!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 PM
G5jive
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

\\\\\\;
AMEN!!!!!
I knew that was coming. It actually runs kick *** with them which may be helped to some degree by the HSR 42. At one point I stuffed torque cones in there and ended up dumping them due to that fact that it didn't seem to pull as strong. Now if they were 2" drags, I believe that would be another matter. When I bought the bike, it had a set of longshots on it. Everybody raves how great they are, and they might work well for some, but I found out they weight like 80 lbs. What I lost in back pressure, I made up for in weight saving and then some... It was like a fat girl jumped off the back when I scrapped em!!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S&amp\\;S 510 gear drive set-up will do nicely in a stock motor, bump up to the 570's if you you plan on a 95 inch set-up with head work later.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: G5jive

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
AMEN!!!!!
I knew that was coming. It actually runs kick *** with them which may be helped to some degree by the HSR 42. At one point I stuffed torque cones in there and ended up dumping them due to that fact that it didn't seem to pull as strong. Now if they were 2" drags, I believe that would be another matter. When I bought the bike, it had a set of longshots on it. Everybody raves how great they are, and they might work well for some, but I found out they weight like 80 lbs. What I lost in back pressure, I made up for in weight saving and then some... It was like a fat girl jumped off the back when I scrapped em!!
&nbsp\\;
If you seen the tq dip that dragpipes produce at 2000 to 3000 rpm you would have second thoughts, and guess what you ride in that rpm range all day.

Quick Reply: Cam opinions for a light softail...