Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What Temp Are Your Heads Running!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
DeuceRyder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Temp Are Your Heads Running!!!

Well im just getting my 07 softtail back together and im probally just tripping but it seem alot hotter now but im getting temps of 270-290 athe the top of the heads and about 320-330 at the bottom. My oil temp doesnt seem to high its around 220-230. But i swear i feel my legs cooking internally. Any of you have temp reading from a 96 motor and where did you take the reading at. Thank for your help

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM
speedglide
Tourer
Default RE: What Temp Are Your Heads Running!!!

According to my DTT logs, I'm running about 240-250 at the head next to the intake on the front cylinder, which is where the sensor is located. This it at hwy speeds, 75mph constant. Mine is an '06 88.&nbsp\\; I'm curious myself what others have for head temps...
Jason

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
06STRD
Cruiser

My oil temps&nbsp\\;have never&nbsp\\;gone over 210, using mobil 1 product I believe is the key.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've checked mine with an infrared temp gun, right at the base of the spark plug, and get between 360 and 380, and have seen it as high as 410. Oil temp 215-235 with dino oil.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; I've done some monitor logs with my T-Max and at 75mph my heads run at 225 degrees. I have an oil cooler on my '07 E-Glide.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
DeuceRyder
Advanced

oh also im running a stage 1 with no fuel mang. right now. so i believe when i get the ECM remapped that hopefully it will be a lil cooler

Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeuceRyder

Well im just getting my 07 softtail back together and im probally just tripping but it seem alot hotter now but im getting temps of 270-290 athe the top of the heads and about 320-330 at the bottom. My oil temp doesnt seem to high its around 220-230. But i swear i feel my legs cooking internally. Any of you have temp reading from a 96 motor and where did you take the reading at. Thank for your help
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;I have a 07 Heritage and my son has a Deuce 07, mine is stage 1 SE/K&amp\\;N filter with SERT / Rush 2" and his stage 1 with SE/K&amp\\;N, V&amp\\;H BR, sert, and SE204cams with 4*advance..
We were both running Syn3 in all three last year after the 1K breakin but this year at my 10K and his 5K service the local dealer now puts syn3 in motor and formula+ in the primary and transmission. which we both think and can feel that the formula+ is better shifting and can find neutral better than the sny3 inthe trans.. neither one of us can tell any difference in the primary as of yet..
My Heritage runs 215* - 225*in the oil temp range at the&nbsp\\;oil tank&nbsp\\;since my change at the 1K service.
My son did&nbsp\\;all of his&nbsp\\;changes&nbsp\\;this&nbsp\\;March 08&nbsp\\;and so far this year he has an operating temp of 210* -215* at the oil tank with same dip stick temp, guage
&nbsp\\;I cant tell you what the temp at the heads are but the above temps is what we are getting at the oil tank with the harley dip stick temp guage.
Neither of us feel that the motors are running hot neath our legs.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just started playing with my SEST and the one log I have is in the range of 240-250. That was cruising in 5th and 6th in the 50-60 mph range in the 80's.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 AM
DeuceRyder
Advanced

So after reading alot about this cheap device I decided to buy it and see what happens. From the testing of it that has been posted, its seems like a good investment for the guys with stage 1.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;XiED 13.8:1 AFR O2 Sensor Inline Enrichment Device&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;from nightrider.com

Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know there are some more things to think about here.

A Harley running 70 MPH in 6 gear is running at the coolest its going to. Nomatter what is felt.

Most of the heat except for some frictional stuff is generated in the heads and pistons. Cooled two ways, air over the heads and cylenders and then oil flowing around the heads and piston jets and then then down&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;allover, including the tank. The whole engine turnes into a heat radiator.

Is the thing really running hotter or is the engine radiating heat better, causing one to feel the heat more?

After all this is an air cooled engine. An oil cooler might increase the precieved heat even as the oil and engine was cooler.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I just chunked that out for folks to think about.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
My oil tank once warmed up runs about 220 F most of the time. Seems about right. Needs to be above the boiling point of water.

Quick Reply: What Temp Are Your Heads Running!!!