Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Passenger leg extreme heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM
daxxer
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger leg extreme heat

Heya all!&nbsp\\; Due to high heat on her right leg (and a bit on the left) wifey won't ride passenger anymore&nbsp\\;on my recently purchased 00 Heritage.&nbsp\\; She says heat is low calf to low thigh and frankly her leg is baking when I touch it.&nbsp\\; Poor thing!&nbsp\\; I don't blame her.&nbsp\\; It is slightly warm on my right leg but nothing like on hers.
&nbsp\\;
Mystery to me is that she says heat seems to be coming from rear, not from lower or from the front, but more in the area just behind her calf.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I have true dual sampson fishtails (not x over) and the only thing I can think of is the muffler and an exhuast leak??&nbsp\\; The right side header pipe does NOT have heatshields nor does the 180 section.&nbsp\\; These may be to blame, but I would think my leg would get hot as well on the right since I'm over more pipe than her, but it doesn't. &nbsp\\;Left side does have partial heat shields and it gets definitely warm on her left leg but much more livable than right.
&nbsp\\;
I've cinched down the mufflers on the header pipes since they join right under the passenger pegs.&nbsp\\; Fixed a slight exhaust leak that way but it didn't help the heat at all.&nbsp\\; Thought it would. &nbsp\\; Took it by the harley place with questions and only got head scratching when told of the problem&nbsp\\;... but in their defense I didn't pay to have it "diagnosed" as I was hoping to be able to fix it myself if it is a simple matter.
&nbsp\\;
Engine is probably running somewhat lean as both the header pipes are bluing ... no heatshields on right makes this obvious!&nbsp\\; But I'm not sure this is the reason the rear passenger leg is boiling.
&nbsp\\;
Is there anything I can do to resolve this?&nbsp\\; All ideas are welcomed!!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default RE: Passenger leg extreme heat

http://www.rjsoriginals.com&nbsp\\;Check out a set of rj's originals heat sheilds for the Softails. He's a forum sponsor also.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Dawg! Daxxer,...That heat your passenger is feeling is deflected off your oil tank. It does the same as on the touring models, but off their right side covers. My product will greatly reduce that discomfort that your passenger is experiencing. Enough so,.. that she will ride with you again.&nbsp\\; My deflectors come in sets. Each made pertaining to the different characteristics each side portrays. With my product on your scoot. You will be able to keep your fishtail setup too.

Just go to http://www.rjsoriginals.com and ask any questions you want.

RJ

[/align]

ORIGINAL: daxxer

Heya all!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Due to high heat on her right leg (and a bit on the left) wifey won't ride passenger anymore&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;on my recently purchased 00 Heritage.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; She says heat is low calf to low thigh and frankly her leg is baking when I touch it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Poor thing!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I don't blame her.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It is slightly warm on my right leg but nothing like on hers.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Mystery to me is that she says heat seems to be coming from rear, not from lower or from the front, but more in the area just behind her calf.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have true dual sampson fishtails (not x over) and the only thing I can think of is the muffler and an exhuast leak??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The right side header pipe does NOT have heatshields nor does the 180 section.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; These may be to blame, but I would think my leg would get hot as well on the right since I'm over more pipe than her, but it doesn't. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Left side does have partial heat shields and it gets definitely warm on her left leg but much more livable than right.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I've cinched down the mufflers on the header pipes since they join right under the passenger pegs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Fixed a slight exhaust leak that way but it didn't help the heat at all.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thought it would. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Took it by the harley place with questions and only got head scratching when told of the problem&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;... but in their defense I didn't pay to have it "diagnosed" as I was hoping to be able to fix it myself if it is a simple matter.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Engine is probably running somewhat lean as both the header pipes are bluing ... no heatshields on right makes this obvious!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But I'm not sure this is the reason the rear passenger leg is boiling.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Is there anything I can do to resolve this?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; All ideas are welcomed!!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
daxxer
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys rock!&nbsp\\; I will definitely check the product out. Hopefully some sort of HDforum discount?
&nbsp\\;
Way to save a marriage!&nbsp\\;Seems we got&nbsp\\;her heat deflection issue solved, now if&nbsp\\;I could just find a magical bolt on&nbsp\\;wallet deflector to stop her clammy hands from reaching in ... !!
&nbsp\\;
Thanks!