Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Mikuni vs. CV Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As hillside already said both carbs are good but IMO if you already paid for the HSR then go with it. Either way you'll be good.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM
rcsoftail
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmose
I have a 95" w/ flat top pistons, andrews 26 cams and currently run a mikuni 42. Seems to work well but fuel millage suffers. I currently get around 32 mpg. I am thinking of going w/ a modified cv.
I would think you would be around 40mpg with that setup. Is it a bagger? What's your pilot jet and accellerator pump jet? Factory is 25 and 70. How do you plugs look? If you ride primarily on the highway, what rpm are you typically at?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 AM
cmose
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure what jet I am running. It is a screamin eagle mikuni. It is a bagger and the plugs look good. I had put it on a dyno and set the fuel air mixture. Performance is good but I would like it to be better and hopefully I can get better mpgs. I do a alot of touring and routinely have to go to reserve at 140, it does not matter if we run 65 or 75 mph.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

cmose, you should be in the 40's. It has been my experience that a dyno is great for setting you main jet but everything else should be tuned using an a/f ratio meter and an O2 sensor or the seat of your pants! Sounds like you need to get the mileage kit for the Mikuni as mentioned ealier in this thread. I've run CV's and the Mikuni and the Mikuni is easier to tune IMO but a properly set up CV works great when touring at different elevations. I'd get that kit and go to the Mikuni website and get their tuning manual. It is really good and understandable.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
cmose
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you get the mileage kit?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 PM
tootal
Tourer

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1022023

This link is an article by the master, Joe Minton. He writes for American Rider magazine and even helped write the tuning manual on Mikuni's. This is an excellent article and talks about the CV and the Mikuni and how to fix both. I also has the phone number to get the Mikuni mileage kit.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:45 AM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been debating this CV/Mk switch myself. I have a 02 DWG with a wind shield, a set of bags, a Cycle Rama "100/100 Street" 95 incher (heads, pistons, cams, etc), V&H long shots with the cross over chamber, SE air cleaner (the one with the K&N filter, not the paper POS) and a 44mm CV... and dam near getting 185 miles before the reserve is hit.. about 45mpg @ 70mph (SE 6 speed trans). I love my set up.. but have always heard about the great throttle response the MK has. But a friend once told me, "Simple Is Better"... and the CV is very simple... A true "set and forget" carb... I think I just talked myself out of the MK... LOL.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:08 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my opinion, There probably is too much tunability in the mikuni, Im a huge keihin fan, and i have dyno sheets somewhere, as i threw a mik on my 80 bagger, and the bike actually lost torque almost across the board and fuel mileage became a issue as well, so my vote goes for the stock sucky keihin..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
tootal
Tourer

I have run the CV and Mikuni on my RG. I changed because I thought I had a carb problem but it ended up being a leaking head gasket. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Anyway the CV is nicer when wicking it up in the twisties. It has a smoother throttle response than the Mikuni which is nice when rolling the throttle on coming out of a corner at full tilt. The Mikuni's quick response will ensettle the bike at the limit. I like the Mikuni at all other times but when going fast in the corners, smooth is always best.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
sealdoggy04
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A well tuned CV carb will run just as good as the mikuni, the key is well tuned.

One thing though with the CV carb the rubber diaphram will deteriorate with the the newer additives in gas over time.

You'll crank the throttle and the bike will be very slow to come on the pipe, it will be sluggish to non existant, this is a typical sign that the diaphram has a hole or completely torn.

I have a well tuned CV on a stage one Lowrider, I would'nt trade anything for it.

Steve

Quick Reply: Mikuni vs. CV Carb