Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

when is timken conversion required on engine build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

totally agree -- it has happened (bad crank) but I have not personally seen or know of one.

My bike club has a lot of built motors--the only ones who have addressed the crank are those who went above 107 -- my previous bike 07 SG wtih HQs 103 stock crank -- rode the hell out that bike -- 24000+miles not one issue with the motor. It was raced, wheelied, got sideways on every occasion--I did have a good lock up clutch -- but other than that the other components were stock.

On my current bike it's a 107 if the crank goes it goes--gives me the reason to go HQs 120 or GMR 124

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
also the crank problems that you are reading about are all blown out of context... yes there are a few that have went south but not as many as you are lead to beleive by certin few...the reason is they want to sell you their new cranks.... its like look who the reports are coming from.....

Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lkr0
totally agree -- it has happened (bad crank) but I have not personally seen or know of one.

My bike club has a lot of built motors--the only ones who have addressed the crank are those who went above 107 -- my previous bike 07 SG wtih HQs 103 stock crank -- rode the hell out that bike -- 24000+miles not one issue with the motor. It was raced, wheelied, got sideways on every occasion--I did have a good lock up clutch -- but other than that the other components were stock.

On my current bike it's a 107 if the crank goes it goes--gives me the reason to go HQs 120 or GMR 124
Thanks IKrO FOR THE POSITIVE FEED BACK. Its nice to here some thing positive for a change in my 04 FATBOY WITH OUT A TIMKEN CRANK BEARING. I think these stock bearings have been trashed long enough. Are they not stock in the SE 110 motors also? Sure i may only have a 95 inch motor and only 97hp and 110tq. But this stock bearing is going to get a real test, believe me. I like to ride hard so we will see what happens in the following years to come. And if it does go, then ill go TIMKEN. But not before she grenades.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just had my crank done on my 07 because a friend had his scissor on the way to sturgis and I don't want to risk it. Something Darkhorse has found is that a lot of 07 and up the sprocket shaft is not located properly and they have found a way to fix it so it will balance correctly. I wonder if thats why they vibrate so much more? Maybe why the ina bearings can fail? Mike

Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had 99-06's live very well with no timken. I had one guy (Ray Wheeler the W8-less Rotor Guy) shift a 95"'er that made over 120 torque (he tortured it). But I have seen 07's shift with 7,000 miles on them for no aparent reason (took out the oil pump and cam plate).

Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

King,

I have seen the same thing on 07 stock. But with alot more miles like 25,000 miles. Good old HD.. I've only seen it on 07 bagger so far. But most of the ones we service have far less miles on it.

My 2 cents.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingofcubes
I have had 99-06's live very well with no timken. I had one guy (Ray Wheeler the W8-less Rotor Guy) shift a 95"'er that made over 120 torque (he tortured it). But I have seen 07's shift with 7,000 miles on them for no aparent reason (took out the oil pump and cam plate).
A. 99'-02' TC's came stock with a timken left side bearing.

B. 03'-07' bikes came with the standard INA bearing(which had plastic in the races)

C. 08'-present bikes come with the HD INA bearing(no plastic, all steel races, HD casing)

Last edited by NTrat; 12-26-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Originally Posted by NTrat
A. 99'-02' TC's came stock with a timken left side bearing.

B. 03'-07' bikes came with the standard INA bearing(which had plastic in the races)

C. 08'-present bikes come with the HD INA bearing(no plastic, all steel races, HD casing)

Now see I agree with you. It was dumb of HD to have plastic in the races on the 03/07. They should be steel they can handle a higher load. You wont see that in most Jap bike they will be steel. Thats just the motor co getting parts cheaper (keep cost down) LOL. sell it for more LOL.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's what can happen when the crank does scissor. It also took out many other parts. I personally wouldn't do a build without the crank being plugged or welded (or both) and as long as the cases are split may as well do the Timken upgrade. I may just be in the unlucky minority.

Rick

Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
dmevans
Stage IV
Default 110 -07 Screaming Eagle - Timken Upgrade

I have a 2007 110cc Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electric Glide. I have been having issues with the bike, but every time I brought the bike into the shop no one could hear the noises I was hearing. Two weeks ago I took the bike into the shop and now they tell me they can hear the noise I have been hearing for almost 3 years. It seems the crank had bent and the flywheel has been hitting the side of the crankshaft. Lucky for me it is under warranty, but the mechanics have advised a Timken upgrade in the bearings as well as welding the crank to avoid any type of movement that could cause issues in the future.

Has anyone else had issues with the new 110 engines that require a complete rebuild?

Thanks,

DE

Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

we do the timken conversion ANY time the cases are split,big motor or stock rebuild.HD never should have changed that(alot cheaper for them,but not a good idea at all)

Quick Reply: when is timken conversion required on engine build?