Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Whoops - no perf gains with my exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoops - no perf gains with my exhaust??

I've been reseaching until total confused my options to gain low-mid range torque by either doing a 103 upgrade/cams or cams only. Priced both options and not sure I wanted to spend the money yet. I then decided maybe a 3rd option of just dyno'ing my bike. That's when I found out I might be in trouble.

I have an 07 Ultra, SERT, SE A/C and SE II Slip-ons with stock exhaust. I called a tuner and he told me that the 07 with stock exhaust really cut the performance and the slipons I have don't really help. I asked about changing the slip ons and he said I really needed to change both the muffler and exhaust to see any appreciable gains. Thats about $10-1200 before I even start any mods! I called another tuner at an HD store about 70 miles from here and he pretty much had the same story.

What's up with this? Did HD totally screw us on the 07's? Has anyone just changed cams without changing their exhaust (ie.. using stock exhaust and better breathing slip ons). If so, can you let me know what gains you saw?

(Looking at either SE 255 cam or Woods 6-6 if I only do the cams.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
WI Bob
Road Master

This isn't apples to apples, but the TW6-6 got me to 100 tq and 90 hp with a stage one set up. Both numbers went up about 13 from the stock 2009 cam.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Default Wood 6-6

WI Bob. Those are good numbers for a cam change. Did you also get a tune? Also, from your signature, it would appear that you are still running stock exhaust... is that correct?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM
WI Bob
Road Master

The Fullsac modded mufflers have straight through 2" baffles. I like them a lot. They are quieter than my Rush 2" at cruise and still bark well when on the gas.

I thought the Woods cam did great on the numbers. It is a bit clicky though as in noisy. They tell me I would see another nice bump if I up the compression as the cam like it. Right now, all is stock with the motor other than the cam and SE plugs.

I had the PCV on the bike before the cam. I tried two maps that matched my set up, from the PowerCommader website, but they were both too rich. So I added the Autotune to my PCV and love it.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Back to my old Drag Racing days the saying was (there is no replacement for displacement) meaning bigger is better!! IMHO the 103 is how I am going for more mid range torque.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

If budget is an issue; have your cylinders bored to fit a set of SE cast flat top pistons or check out the AMS cylinder/piston package for 105"; decent exchange price fior a quality product. Use a .030" head gasket when reassembling and you will see a noticeable low/mid range improvement.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm

Ride it for a while and then install Andrews 54 cams and get another bump.

The FL header pipes are actually not bad but you could do better than the SEII slipons with the aforementioned Fullsac cored mufflers, Cycle Shak, Rush or V&H Classic or Basic Slipons. BTW, forget about the dealer ECM flash. You might get away without a tune on the increase in displacement but if you can afford it, not a bad idea. A re-tune will be necessary with the cam and exhaust upgrade.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Default Made a decision

Thanks for all your comments and help.

The route I was going down was to bore my cylinders, do the SE cast pistons and cams. The dealer (Rochester Harley) was giving me a very good price and they are competent. They would even include a mild flow (clean up heads and valves). It would have been a nice package, but I've been out of a job since January and my washing machine just lost it's transmission. So I made the decision to just do the cams and a dyno tune. If I get the same performance that others on this forum have gotten, I think I'll be happy. If not, I'll save some pennies over the next year or two, use the SE 255 cams that I'm putting in and have the cylinders bored.

Thanks again for all your help.