Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New Cam, Lifter Noise=Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Ridetard
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cam, Lifter Noise=Frustration

Installed an Andrews EV46 Cam into a 94 Evo. All went well til I fired it up. Seems to run good but have all sorts of lifter noise.

I kept the stock lifters and installed adjustable "EZ" pushrods (Crane) . Adjusted everything, 2.5 turns at TDC. BUt can't seem to get rid of the tick tick tick.

I have adjusted pushrods many times. Could it be a lifter issue?

Was getting late and I am frustrated and hoped someone here could shed some light on the subject. Im sure it's something stupid but any input will be appreciated.

Thanks
R/T

Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Most builds on the TC's end up with lifter noise. I have it and got used to it but not hearing yours won't say it's OK...you will find that most of us with builds have the noise. WOW...I didn't help at all did I? Sorry

Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 PM
squale147
Cruiser

did you make sure you could use ezs push rods with stock liffters??

Old 03-29-2009, 02:15 AM
spgtti
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squale147
did you make sure you could use ezs push rods with stock liffters??
WHAT?????? Where can you get the ezs lifffters?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Ridetard
Banned

Originally Posted by cowboy1
Most builds on the TC's end up with lifter noise. I have it and got used to it but not hearing yours won't say it's OK...you will find that most of us with builds have the noise. WOW...I didn't help at all did I? Sorry
It's an EVO

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetard
Installed an Andrews EV46 Cam into a 94 Evo. All went well til I fired it up. Seems to run good but have all sorts of lifter noise.

I kept the stock lifters and installed adjustable "EZ" pushrods (Crane) . Adjusted everything, 2.5 turns at TDC. BUt can't seem to get rid of the tick tick tick.

I have adjusted pushrods many times. Could it be a lifter issue?

Was getting late and I am frustrated and hoped someone here could shed some light on the subject. Im sure it's something stupid but any input will be appreciated.

Thanks
R/T

Sometimes the collar at the bottom of Crane pushrods will hit the bottom edge of the inner pushrod tube. The front exhaust is the worst offender.

Put your finger on the pushrod tubes while the engine is running to feel for contact.

Cutting .100 from the bottom end of the inner pushrod tube will usually give enough clearance for the P/R collar to clear.

Also check for rubbing inside the tubes because the Crane P/R are larger in diameter than the stock P/R. You may have to increase the inside diameter by a small amount, pay close attention to the crimp at the top of the tube.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ooooo

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 04-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Default lifter noise

I had a 1991 FLHS which had that same cam. It too had what sounded like lifter noise. I changed lifters, adjusted the pushrods, put in new rocker arms and shafts, and changed the pinion gear to the next size up. All to no avail. the engine still had the noise. Talked to an experienced engine builder who called the EV 46 a "rattletrap" cam. I then purchased and installed a comp. cam. Can't remember which grind but it was one of the mild ones. They claim no noise and they were right. Engine was very quiet. Too bad because the 46 gave lots of power. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
legacycycles
Oops

Here we go agin...Im running the ev51 and have fought "the noise".The biggest problem with mine was the jap crap chrome cam cover i installed.With something like .085 bushing to cam clearnce,the noise was very understanbleand loud.After that i still had a little tick but after putting some miles on it,it quiteddown big time.Keep in mind i replaced every thing chasing the noise mine had.And i mean everything.Also check pinion gear backlash,may be a good idea to use youre factory gear on the cam.Also check pinion shaft runout.And of course check the pushrod 2 tube clearnce,they will rub and sound like a valve tick.Also check rockerbox alingment if you removed them.The lifters may have bled down but the stock lifters are some of the best,so its doubtfull there the culprit.Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Default noisy engine

Follow up to my other reply: I switched from the Andrews EV 46 cam to a V- Thunder EVL- 3010 cam made by Comp Cams. This eliminated all the ticking sounds. With the Andrews 46 the engine sounded like my old shovelhead with solids.

Quick Reply: New Cam, Lifter Noise=Frustration