Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat issues

Hi guys, I posted a while ago about screwing up my o2 sensor and having excessive heat coming out of the rear cylinder. Since then, I have replaced the o2 sensor with a new one, and got a corrected map from Dan at Thundermax. After a couple of 200+km rides, sitting at a light, it still feels quite hot, especially off the left side of the rear cylinder. Seems hotter than on the header side. The seat is quite toasty and uncomfortable!

Any ideas? Where would I check for an air leak that could be making the bike run so lean?

Also, it was so hot initially that even the heatshields on the headers (Rinehart 2-1) had discolored to a yellowish hue. It seems that they keep on getting more and more colored as I ride. Is this a result of continuing heat, or could it be that once they start to turn color, they'll keep on turning?

Thanks for any replies, they're appreciated. The Harley store in Taiwan is great for bolting on new Harley goodies, but trouble-shooting wise, they don't have a clue.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:43 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have a tmax, you also have the ability to do data loging. First you need to determine if in fact you are running lean, and O2s are working. Generally if there is an intake leak or an exhaust leak ahead of the O2 sensor more fuel will be added to compensate and bring the afrs in line. Fuel milage will drop giving you the clue something is wrong. If the leak is extreme it will likely show up in a monitor session when linked up while comparing target afrs to front and rear. Auto tune points anylizer will likely show a problem as well. I can't explain why you feel the heat on the left side more than the pipe side. Late timing will also turn pipes into nasty colours, even if the fuel is correct, especially around the idle rpms and slightly above. Posting your map for the rest of us to look at would be good, to see if something is odd with it.
Ron

Old 07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks Ron

I'll get all that info and fire another post onto here.