Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Heavy Breather Recall on Plug Seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Breather Recall on Plug Seals

Just a note on your heavy breather, there is a parts recall on the chrome plugs for the breather bolts. The chrome plugs that cover the breather bolts they should have (2) o-rings per plug and the plugs themselves should have a flat spot on them to make them easier to remove. The old defective plugs only have (1) o-ring on each one. They have a problem with them leaking oil out of them. (I am going through this now and just got this info today from another dealer I was visiting) If anyone has this problem the Bulletin # P&A NO.944 dated 10/31/2008.
The old plug numbers are 29830-05 and the new numbers are 29830-05A
The o-ring numbers are 10925 which stay the same they just use 2 on each plug now instead of 1. This is a free fix from HD. The bulletin is titled
Heavy Breather- Breather Plug Seals

Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

So I just got home from work, and pulled the two plugs off the breather and yes they are the one oring plugs. So what now, do I just take the plugs up to the dealer and reference this # P&A NO.944 dated 10/31/2008 and tell him to look it up. Are they suppose to just exchange the plugs with new orings for the old plugs?
Do I call the dealer first and ask if hey have the plugs/orings in stock?
By the way, can a regular person like us pull up this bulletin and print it out to slap across the parts counter?
Thanks Russ

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, not long ago they redesigned that kit. Now it comes with a gasket where the elbow mounts and a sturdier mounting ring as well. MOCO did the testing on us customers again.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
So I just got home from work, and pulled the two plugs off the breather and yes they are the one oring plugs. So what now, do I just take the plugs up to the dealer and reference this # P&A NO.944 dated 10/31/2008 and tell him to look it up. Are they suppose to just exchange the plugs with new orings for the old plugs?
Do I call the dealer first and ask if hey have the plugs/orings in stock?
By the way, can a regular person like us pull up this bulletin and print it out to slap across the parts counter?
Thanks Russ
Since I had the paper from the other dealer I showed it to my dealer and they looked it up. (the service manager didn't know nothing about it because it was a parts recall, he called over the parts manager and he ordered the parts for me)
So basically they ordered the parts for me and called me when they came in, I went in and they gave them to me, I went out to the parking lot and swapped them out and returned the old one's to parts counter.
That's all I did and they don't leak oil out of them anymore, and I also noticed that I don't have any more decel popping either what that has to do with them I'm not sure.
If you go into your dealer just tell them your leaking oil from the breather caps and you heard there was a recall on them and give them the recall number 944 they can look it up and print it out. And they should be able to order the parts for you. It is a recall after all.

The new caps have two slots for o-rings instead of one, they still use the same size o-ring and number just the caps changed.

I couldn't find anyway to get it online myself.
And I wouldn't take yours off until I knew they had them There easy enough to change in the parking lot like I did.

Hope this helps you out.

Fred

Last edited by fjm3rd; 09-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember when I first got mine, and thought these oring fits are bs. Modified it myself before install and it's been fine for 2 years now.
Ron