Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

need help please! updated info to build gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, went and saw the cylinders myself tonight and they are as polished as mirrors with defined scratches in the walls. there is no sign of honing marks left at all. im thinking thats explaining my low CR. anyways, zippers is redoing that part and with their heads they are reccomending a "577" cam and .035 gaskets.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

ooops, correction..575 will be my cams. also, im running a cv carb. im convinced its enough carb and can be tuned to work. others say no way. any thoughts from the masters on the forum?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

The CV will support the build.

I still think you are missing the basics by not confirming static CR. Fine scratches on cylinder walls are common and most happen on start up; I would be much less concerned about fine scratches than not knowing it the 135psi is a good reading. Could the compression rings have been installed upside down? a leakdown test would have also been a good idea. It also would be worth having a machinist, assuming you don't the tools, to take some readings on your piston to cylinder wall clearances.

I hope, for your sake, that the path you are on fixes the problem. I just think it is important to establish the viability of the engine internals before determining the remedy. JHMO and good luck. Keep posting on your progress.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

i think i may have understated fine scatches. what i should have said was in each bore there were 4 defined scratches about 1/2 inch wide in each bore. almost making me think the cylinder isnt round. sooo..regardless, zippers now has my entire top end. they will be checking their heads and whatever work is nessesary to the cylinders they will be fixing. i may be exchanging those cylinders who knows.
whatever zippers says to do or buy, since im not doing this work myself, im placing my trust in them. and it doesn hurt they are 20 minutes from my house makes turnaround quicker so it seems.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

wouldnt be the first time ive seen zippers stuff not right,i know we`ve fixed alot of it.their billit big bore cylinders give a new meaning to"out of round"
kirby
facebook: kirby apathy

Old 12-24-2009, 10:31 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

i got a PM that the 575 isnt a good cam. everyone seems to have their favorite products. there could be quite a few last minute changes in this build. ill keep posting as the build comes together.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the low compression you might not be getting the velocity you need out of those big valve heads.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:38 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

thats why i suggested a few diffrent cam choices
The T-man 625 orr 590

Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

ok, next week im going to talk to my builder about upping the cam from the 575. the zippers heads can handle the 590 or 625. soooo many choices is mind boggling.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

there are so many wrong choices and only a few good ones that are proven. also have your builder call Dave from JD,s he is right in lower PA bethlam and talk to him about setting it up to get the best for ya.
the 625 will do ya right .

Quick Reply: need help please! updated info to build gone bad