Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Headquarters hq95s kit.is the 11:1 comp ratio too high?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
You can't rely on the posted CR; your builder should know that.

The list of parts and labor that SEDELUXE posted indicates that head decking is part of the headwork package; you need to know how much the heads have been decked and your deck height to calculate CR. With domed pistons and a .027" head gasket, one would not expect much to be decked but if you don't know, you are flying blind.

Stock chambers are about 85cc-86cc but I have seen some larger. If that is the case and your deck height is near 0.00", your static CR will be about 10.6, corrected about 9.4 and CCR about 196. In my non-professional opinion, that should be about right for a well mannered build.

If the heads have been decked to yield a true 11:1 static CR, a fair amount of material has been removed and mocking up and measuring valve to piston clearance should be done. If the static CR is a true 11:1, corrected will be about 9.7 and CCR about 205. That's a bit aggressive for a touring build. JMHO

For sure have a conversation with the HQ guys before assembling; I am sure they know the chamber volume. You can verify deck height and then calculate true static CR. Definitely don't increase the head gasket thickness; I don't know much about the HQ stuff but do know that this is a package and changing the parameters will change the outcome of the build.
this seems like good advice.
i'm now in communications with kevin from HQ and he's confirming the specific head cc's and other particulars.it appears that this kit is for a much lighter bike (and a MUCH more aggresive build)and it may not serve my purpose on this build,but we'll see what he says.
thanks for the excellent feedback!
leftcoast carl.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by LEFTCOAST CARL
this seems like good advice.
i'm now in communications with kevin from HQ and he's confirming the specific head cc's and other particulars.it appears that this kit is for a much lighter bike (and a MUCH more aggresive build)and it may not serve my purpose on this build,but we'll see what he says.
thanks for the excellent feedback! leftcoast carl.
That's the problem I have with the HQ stuff. If you don't follow the recipe, the outcome is not predictable. Although, in this case, you may be able to machine the piston dome to drop the CR and while giving up a little performance have a very streetable build. If you think that may be an option, call Chaz at Axtell and see what he thinks.

Another thought is that if the HQ stuff is still NIB, maybe Kevin would swap out pistons and perhaps cams that would produce a less aggressive build but still be an HQ package.

Just a thought; good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Stay at 10:1 it's not worth the 5-7 tq/hp you
will gain from 11:1. On a bar hopper.....sure
on a dresser.......been there done that as many
have

Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Dalton said, sign up to their Q and A forum and you will be golden as to any questions you need answered. I was
up and running on the site within 24 hours and have had great service from the moderators. Just curious, what is the
member on this site from whom you've purchased the kit from telling you? Is he an HQ dealer?

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 01-26-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Like Dalton said, sign up to their Q and A forum and you will be golden as to any questions you need answered. I was
up and running on the site within 24 hours and have had great service from the moderators. Just curious, what is the
member on this site from whom you've purchased the kit from telling you? Is he an HQ dealer?
the member i purchased the kit from dealt "straight up" with me and delivered everything he promised.
i've come to the realization that this kit in it's current form will not work for my application.i spoke with kevin from HQ today and he'll advise on "how radical this package is" and what possible option i have.in the end,i may have an awesome package that's too specific to tweak without sacrificing all the good stuff in it.if that happens,i'll keep this kit for the next build or re-sell it as NIB and move on.never having a big bore kit of this caliber before has forced me to accept how naive i've been and what i might sacrifice to get there.it's not money wasted(i can sell it to the next guy who knows exactly what it is...)but i probably jumped on this deal too quickly before researching the best application for my bike.wrong cams,wrong comp ratio,wrong riding style,wrong,wrong,wrong......period.
i will await kevin's answer and either modify his kit or simply start from scratch with a milder version that gives me the torquey low end i need without making this too much of an animal to enjoy cruising on.
thanks to all that took the time to enlighten me on this thread or in p.m.'s.i really appreciate it!!!
leftcaost carl.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done this several times "wrong cams,wrong comp ratio,wrong riding style,wrong,wrong,wrong......period.:icon_nut" and let me add bought wrong bike etc.

Lost some dollars but hopefully learned some lessons.

the member i purchased the kit from dealt "straight up" with me and delivered everything he promised.
i've come to the realization that this kit in it's current form will not work for my application.i spoke with kevin from HQ today and he'll advise on "how radical this package is" and what possible option i have.in the end,i may have an awesome package that's too specific to tweak without sacrificing all the good stuff in it.if that happens,i'll keep this kit for the next build or re-sell it as NIB and move on.never having a big bore kit of this caliber before has forced me to accept how naive i've been and what i might sacrifice to get there.it's not money wasted(i can sell it to the next guy who knows exactly what it is...)but i probably jumped on this deal too quickly before researching the best application for my bike.wrong cams,wrong comp ratio,wrong riding style,wrong,wrong,wrong......period.
i will await kevin's answer and either modify his kit or simply start from scratch with a milder version that gives me the torquey low end i need without making this too much of an animal to enjoy cruising on.
thanks to all that took the time to enlighten me on this thread or in p.m.'s.i really appreciate it!!!
leftcaost carl.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Keep us posted to what you end up doing with the 95"S kit. That would make a nice bar hopper out of a Dyna!!

leftcaost carl.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

leftcaost carl.
Good call on not using this package, I was reading with great anticipation on what you decided, I knew you were about to mess up big time on a 11.1 touring bike, if you tour you will run into crappy gas somewhere period, and I to got a little frustrated by not able to talk to someone about there parts beside a forum, and you will find that Kevins answers are sometimes different than Dougs, made me wonder.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im tryin to find out headquarters web site adress

Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Headquarters hq95s kit.is the 11:1 comp ratio too high?!?!?