Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

103 is it enough ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok...my turn....take it to another dyno.
Those aren't bad numbers but you will see more when he's done. This is just an opinion. I'm thinking 110+ hp/ 116+ torque

Last edited by producer; 03-04-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with a well-tuned 103.

Of course, once you get the hang of your 103, you will want more; been there, done that, regretted it and told my wife that my next bike will be a 107. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence but for my purposes (mainly 1-up, odd 2-up touring), the 103 is more than enough to keep me rolling with ample power to spare; every time I ride my SG, I keep saying that this is how it should have come from the factory!

However, I am a bit confused as to why you have head work yet did not choose to maximize its potential with a 107 or larger?

Originally Posted by mrdakotaman
i just had a 103 put into my 09 touring it is 10.1 flat tops, decked head to make it 10.25 to 1, ported head 1.9 intake 1.62 exhaust compression release, bassani road rage 2 into 1, ventilator intake, headquarters 575 cams, trued weld crank timken upgrade, sert, he is still tuning but right now it is 105hp and 107tq, it is fiished so maybe im questioning to soon, but i thought it would be more, he has a dyno 250 and said it is more conservitive than the other local dealers, by as much a 10hp i should be happy because my baseline was 64 and 80tq what do you think???

Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
mrdakotaman
Intermediate

i got the jugs and pistons new from a buddy for free, if i knew now back then i would have bought pistons, and bored my stock jugs, because these new matched pistons and jugs needed honing to fit anyways, so i paid for that should have gone 107, but then i also split the case to weld true and install tinmken upgrade and that point i should have gone 117, but at what point do stop.. at this phase it cost around 3500 for everything labor porting cams exhaust intake crank work, tuner, more than i thought it would be, but isnt that how it always goes.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
connector
Advanced

Funny how we always want more. I did the 103 build a few weeks ago and have maybe 700 KMs on it and it feels great, could i have done better probaly, but up here in the wet coast my options are somewhat limited. That and the fact i have only 6000 KMs on the bike i thought i would stay with SE except for the cleaning of the heads. Time will tell but i'm pretty happy for now with the 103

Attached Thumbnails 103 is it enough ????-stage-iii-dyno.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is never enough horsepower.

Unless you are married.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy with my little 96". Very streetable and moves the bike along fine. I think it might hit the 100 mark, after the auto tune works for a while I'll find out.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
There is never enough horsepower.

Unless you are married.
That hog fever sneaks up on a guy.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What happens is--

You are out and about at a light minding your own business and another guy on a Harley comes up.
You nod, everything cool, just another guy-- the light changes---He leaves, laying rubber and wheeling first two gears.

There you go, "HOG FEVER" just snuke up, so to speak.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
looneycanuk
Cruiser

Fair enough, free is always good! Well...usually!

Anyways, it all boils down to how happy you feel after a few 1,000 miles on the new engine. As much as I think that I need a bigger engine, my tuned 103" keeps me smiling so this where I am stopping; next bike will be a 107" or CVO but my needs will be different later in life (trailer or hack for kids, dogs and luggage).

And like you said, at what point does one stop? After a good tune, if you are happy, that might be a wise place to call 'er quits. Trying to keep up with the Jones is pointless...

Originally Posted by mrdakotaman
i got the jugs and pistons new from a buddy for free, if i knew now back then i would have bought pistons, and bored my stock jugs, because these new matched pistons and jugs needed honing to fit anyways, so i paid for that should have gone 107, but then i also split the case to weld true and install tinmken upgrade and that point i should have gone 117, but at what point do stop.. at this phase it cost around 3500 for everything labor porting cams exhaust intake crank work, tuner, more than i thought it would be, but isnt that how it always goes.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Like Truk says, you really need to see the chart; SAE vs STD, smoothing, what gear the pulls are made in, how many pulls, etc. If your tuner hasn't made 40-50 pulls, he is leaving something in the dyno room. IMHO, you can't get it all right in 10 or 20 pulls.

Quick Reply: 103 is it enough ????