Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Exhaust System Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics-57/)
-   -   Best Tuner in Houston Area (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics/545509-best-tuner-in-houston-area.html)

Feedsack 08-01-2010 08:13 AM

Best Tuner in Houston Area

I am looking for someone to tune this 08 Ultra Classic. Whatkind of software they use will be helpful also if anyone has a suggestion

Thanks

djl 08-01-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Feedsack (Post 7082253)
I am looking for someone to tune this 08 Ultra Classic. Whatkind of software they use will be helpful also if anyone has a suggestion

Thanks

If you are running the SE Race Tuner (SERT), call Republic H-D in Stafford but don't let anyone but Burt Cherry do the tune. He has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduce by H-D. Give Republic a call and make an appointment with Burt.

Old Gunny 08-02-2010 08:43 AM

Wolfgang Grasser lives and works in Baytown. Right there by spur 330.
I don't have his number handy but Bob Woods can give it to you.

He likes the PC-V, (I thing thats what its called)

Dornak2003 08-04-2010 01:05 PM

I am scheduled next week with Katy Custom Cycles next week for service and tire replacement. Take a look at their website. They may be worth a try.

Hillsidecycle.com 08-04-2010 07:01 PM

Dales Bike Shop, in Beaumont seems to know their way around a dyno.
Scott

honorsdaddy 08-06-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 7083413)
If you are running the SE Race Tuner (SERT), call Republic H-D in Stafford but don't let anyone but Burt Cherry do the tune. He has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduce by H-D. Give Republic a call and make an appointment with Burt.

Seriously?

Just my experience, but after 12 trips there and about 300miles on the dyno, they never did get it right. I've just hit the point where I'm living with it until I replace the cams and have to get it re-done anyway.

Burt was one of the ones who screwed up, er i mean, worked on my bike.

djl 08-06-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy (Post 7107618)
Seriously?

Just my experience, but after 12 trips there and about 300miles on the dyno, they never did get it right. I've just hit the point where I'm living with it until I replace the cams and have to get it re-done anyway.

Burt was one of the ones who screwed up, er i mean, worked on my bike.

Without knowing the details of your build and who did the work and what tuning hardware/software was used, I can't comment on your unfortunate situation. However, whenever I hear a similar story, I am always curious to hear the other side.

All I am saying is Burt has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduced and, in spite of your bad experience, I would not hesitate to and still recommend that the OP talk to Burt about his tune sicne he has the SERT installed. If the OP was running a PC or TMax and/or I did not have personel experience with Burt, I would not have posted a response.

My last experience with Burt was a 95" with BigBoyz street ported heads, SE204 cams, Python 3 2:1 exhaust and SERT tuned by Burt; he got 104TQ/93HP out of a fairly mild 95" build with lots of TQ under the curve. I would go back to Burt for a SERT tune in a heart beat.

If you post the details of your build and the problem you are havineg, there are members of this forum that can probably sort it out for you.

honorsdaddy 08-06-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 7107739)
Without knowing the details of your build and who did the work and what tuning hardware/software was used, I can't comment on your unfortunate situation. However, whenever I hear a similar story, I am always curious to hear the other side.

All I am saying is Burt has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduced and, in spite of your bad experience, I would not hesitate to and still recommend that the OP talk to Burt about his tune sicne he has the SERT installed. If the OP was running a PC or TMax and/or I did not have personel experience with Burt, I would not have posted a response.

My last experience with Burt was a 95" with BigBoyz street ported heads, SE204 cams, Python 3 2:1 exhaust and SERT tuned by Burt; he got 104TQ/93HP out of a fairly mild 95" build with lots of TQ under the curve. I would go back to Burt for a SERT tune in a heart beat.

If you post the details of your build and the problem you are havineg, there are members of this forum that can probably sort it out for you.

The "build" is hardly that... its just a stage 1. Ventilator and Reinhart slip-ons with the SERT.

Runs rich as hell, frequent backfires and decel popping, horrible mileage - like about 30-32mpg at sustained 75mph in 6th - lightly loaded, no passenger.

If it were more complex, i'd be somewhat understanding, but with such a minimal change, and the amount of time they took to do it, its hard to hold anything but contempt.

Old Gunny 08-06-2010 05:04 PM

If you have a SERT the catalog of maps from HD is full of programs. Your bound to be able to find one and program the ECM yourself.
Once you get into this--- programing the ECM is about as easy as falling off a fence.

FLSTF 08-07-2010 06:44 AM

I know you asked about tuners in Houston, but if you don't find anyone there you want to try I would highly recommend Ed Dahir at The Dyno Difference in Dallas. It was well worth the drive for me from Lufkin. He tunes Sert, TTS, DTT, and is very meticulous. I get around 43 mpg cruising at 75-80 on the highway.