Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Best Tuner in Houston Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Best Tuner in Houston Area

I am looking for someone to tune this 08 Ultra Classic. Whatkind of software they use will be helpful also if anyone has a suggestion

Thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Feedsack
I am looking for someone to tune this 08 Ultra Classic. Whatkind of software they use will be helpful also if anyone has a suggestion

Thanks
If you are running the SE Race Tuner (SERT), call Republic H-D in Stafford but don't let anyone but Burt Cherry do the tune. He has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduce by H-D. Give Republic a call and make an appointment with Burt.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wolfgang Grasser lives and works in Baytown. Right there by spur 330.
I don't have his number handy but Bob Woods can give it to you.

He likes the PC-V, (I thing thats what its called)

Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Dornak2003
Intermediate

I am scheduled next week with Katy Custom Cycles next week for service and tire replacement. Take a look at their website. They may be worth a try.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Dales Bike Shop, in Beaumont seems to know their way around a dyno.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
If you are running the SE Race Tuner (SERT), call Republic H-D in Stafford but don't let anyone but Burt Cherry do the tune. He has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduce by H-D. Give Republic a call and make an appointment with Burt.
Seriously?

Just my experience, but after 12 trips there and about 300miles on the dyno, they never did get it right. I've just hit the point where I'm living with it until I replace the cams and have to get it re-done anyway.

Burt was one of the ones who screwed up, er i mean, worked on my bike.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Seriously?

Just my experience, but after 12 trips there and about 300miles on the dyno, they never did get it right. I've just hit the point where I'm living with it until I replace the cams and have to get it re-done anyway.

Burt was one of the ones who screwed up, er i mean, worked on my bike.
Without knowing the details of your build and who did the work and what tuning hardware/software was used, I can't comment on your unfortunate situation. However, whenever I hear a similar story, I am always curious to hear the other side.

All I am saying is Burt has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduced and, in spite of your bad experience, I would not hesitate to and still recommend that the OP talk to Burt about his tune sicne he has the SERT installed. If the OP was running a PC or TMax and/or I did not have personel experience with Burt, I would not have posted a response.

My last experience with Burt was a 95" with BigBoyz street ported heads, SE204 cams, Python 3 2:1 exhaust and SERT tuned by Burt; he got 104TQ/93HP out of a fairly mild 95" build with lots of TQ under the curve. I would go back to Burt for a SERT tune in a heart beat.

If you post the details of your build and the problem you are havineg, there are members of this forum that can probably sort it out for you.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
Without knowing the details of your build and who did the work and what tuning hardware/software was used, I can't comment on your unfortunate situation. However, whenever I hear a similar story, I am always curious to hear the other side.

All I am saying is Burt has been tuning with the SERT since it was introduced and, in spite of your bad experience, I would not hesitate to and still recommend that the OP talk to Burt about his tune sicne he has the SERT installed. If the OP was running a PC or TMax and/or I did not have personel experience with Burt, I would not have posted a response.

My last experience with Burt was a 95" with BigBoyz street ported heads, SE204 cams, Python 3 2:1 exhaust and SERT tuned by Burt; he got 104TQ/93HP out of a fairly mild 95" build with lots of TQ under the curve. I would go back to Burt for a SERT tune in a heart beat.

If you post the details of your build and the problem you are havineg, there are members of this forum that can probably sort it out for you.
The "build" is hardly that... its just a stage 1. Ventilator and Reinhart slip-ons with the SERT.

Runs rich as hell, frequent backfires and decel popping, horrible mileage - like about 30-32mpg at sustained 75mph in 6th - lightly loaded, no passenger.

If it were more complex, i'd be somewhat understanding, but with such a minimal change, and the amount of time they took to do it, its hard to hold anything but contempt.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a SERT the catalog of maps from HD is full of programs. Your bound to be able to find one and program the ECM yourself.
Once you get into this--- programing the ECM is about as easy as falling off a fence.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 AM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you asked about tuners in Houston, but if you don't find anyone there you want to try I would highly recommend Ed Dahir at The Dyno Difference in Dallas. It was well worth the drive for me from Lufkin. He tunes Sert, TTS, DTT, and is very meticulous. I get around 43 mpg cruising at 75-80 on the highway.

Quick Reply: Best Tuner in Houston Area