Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
mr-moen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling problem

I have an 07 wide glide. Pc3 heavy breather and cobra speedster long. I have an ocassional problem when I come to a stop the idle drops to the point it will stall if I don't give it gas. It also pops on decel only when this problem occurs and occasionally seems like it cranks for a longer time than usual before it starts. It seems like the problem only occurs when it's warm Has anyone else had or heard of this happening?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a real sutle tuning thing.
My tuning has been a work in process since I started fooling with this.
I haven't though about this in awhile so others can help more but:

I think, if you have a sert or TTS (what I use) or another that can talk to the ECM, that raising the IAC setpoint might help.

Maybe if it's not warmed up well the warm-up tuning can be increased at the temps it has trouble.

Also if the idle is set much lower than 1000 it can have trouble lineing itself out.

There are several things that all interelate to each other.

somebody doing this all the time know much more.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM
BlackFatBob64
Intermediate

Do you have any other symptoms? Valve pinging? Bike runs better on cool mornings than hot afternoons?

Either way, Gunny is right. It's dyno time, methinks!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Somebody who understands the "ridability" part of tuning.

These are tuning but not so much for HP.

Things between 1K-2K RPM and small throddle openings.

It's all in the ECM if set right. Assuming all else is working right.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
mr-moen
Cruiser

There aren't any other symptoms. It runs great. The only thing that has me concerned is that it doesn't do it all the time

Old 04-15-2011, 05:41 PM
kiwifulla
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem . Mine is a 07 night train and the only engine mods are the pipes . It happens at different times , just does not want to idle and then will stall and also has the backfiring when slowing . I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and thought i had fixed the problem but after my next ride ( about 600kms) it did it again . It mainly happens when i come off the highway and not around town so i dont think it is a heat problem . I am taking it to my mechanic next week to see of he knows what it might be .

Old 04-16-2011, 09:40 AM
mr-moen
Cruiser

Kiwifulla. That sounds exactly like what my bike is doing. I don't have time to get my bike to anyone right now. Could you share what your mechanic finds?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 PM
goosehntr
Intermediate

I have an 07 Ultra I bought a year ago, it was bone stock at the time, with in a week went on a three hundred mile ride, after two hours at highway speed it did the same thing, stalled and did not want to idle. I thought maybe some bad gas. But it has did it maybe 6 or 7 times in the last year. I have since put a stage one air cleaner , fuel processor and slip ons on it. Still does it even after the change. Not sure if it is the processor since it did it bone stock. One thing I have had happen twice now, is when on the highway when I come to a stop it will also do the opposit and my idle will stay at almost 2000 and not want to drop. After a couple of minutes it will settle down. I did a diag code scan on it and it came up with a U1016, can not find much about it.

Sure could use some help!

HELP HELP HELP!!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you guys might be having issues with a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control). Do a search to find the process for cleaning it.

U1016 is loss of ECU serial data. Probably just a one time glitch. Clear the code. If this code consistently pops up after clearing the code, then you have an issue.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:10 AM
kiwifulla
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by priceamp
Sounds like you guys might be having issues with a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control). Do a search to find the process for cleaning it.

U1016 is loss of ECU serial data. Probably just a one time glitch. Clear the code. If this code consistently pops up after clearing the code, then you have an issue.
thanks mate , i will give that info to the mechanic as well .
cheers

Quick Reply: Stalling problem