Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

answer to my popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
charlie1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default answer to my popping noise

Does this explanation sound right as to why I have a popping noise , I had Vance & Hines installed with a stage one download. Supposedly the downloads are for Scremin eagle exhaust and thus the vance& hines burn a little different. Do you buy this???

Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: answer to my popping noise

charlie1,

I agree with it. The vance and hines i think breath better than the screaming eagles. Your engine is breathing better so it needs a different map. I know different pipes breath different so it makes sense.

Hope this helps,
David

Old 12-14-2004, 08:20 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 Ultra Classic with the Stage 1 breather, Vance and Hines Oval slip-ons and a power commander. I have installed 3 different maps into the commander and they all make popping sounds. I contacted Dynojet and he said that it is unburned gas that is igniting inside the pipes. They breath better and usually pop on decelleration.

Sounds like we might have to just live with the popping.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike is popping because of a lean running condition. You can custom alter the current program to correct the problem if you have the software and know how, or you can load a different program.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
ch1ef
Banned

I suggest you take your bike to an authorized Dyna Jet tuner and have your PC mapped on a dyno. You won't believe the difference, and your popping just might disappear.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
CycleWerkzWest
4th Gear

Augh!!!

Please don't just 'live with it'.

You can go to DynoJet's web site and search for you nearest authorized DynoJet Tuning Center. They will build you a custom map which will eliminate your problem. Or, it may reveal some other problem but I doubt it.

Those "canned" maps you can download are good if you can't afford to get a custom map but ONLY if you can't afford it AND only if the map matches your configuration EXACTLY.

If you download a map to install in your Power Commander BE SURE to have it tested at a DynoJet facility to gurantee it's doing its' job. This will also ensure everything else is working as it should too. When you bring them your bike ask them for a baseline report showing HP, torque and mixture.

You've already spent the big money, now a custom map wouldn't be much more and it cannot be beat for accuracy.