Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

'11 Limited cam tensioner shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM
jetfixer62
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '11 Limited cam tensioner shoes

I'm gathering parts and info for winter mods on my Limited. It has 30k on it. I'm changing cams, among other things. From what I've read in here, it sounds like the tensioner shoes these days should be good for quite a few more miles, but I figured I'd put new shoes on the " as long as I'm in there" list. I figured they'd prob be 10-12 bucks a piece, what the heck. Today the HD parts guy said you had to buy the whole tensioner...$39 ea. At that price if I don't see any wear they're going back in. I see guys talking about changing the shoes all the time... are they available without buying the whole unit?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by jetfixer62
I'm gathering parts and info for winter mods on my Limited. It has 30k on it. I'm changing cams, among other things. From what I've read in here, it sounds like the tensioner shoes these days should be good for quite a few more miles, but I figured I'd put new shoes on the " as long as I'm in there" list. I figured they'd prob be 10-12 bucks a piece, what the heck. Today the HD parts guy said you had to buy the whole tensioner...$39 ea. At that price if I don't see any wear they're going back in. I see guys talking about changing the shoes all the time... are they available without buying the whole unit?

Thanks guys!
I wouldn't replace them unless you do see abnormal wear but that shouldn't be the case. If you do decide to replace them, pass on the OEM shoes and opt for the Zippers Dual Piston tensioners. A bit pricey but IMHO, if replacing OEM tensioners, money well spent.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/ne...ensioners.html