Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Introducing Infinite Scroll

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,321 Likes on 8,411 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
With google chrome I cannot remove infinite scroll. I can find no switches anywhere. Forum works as usual with firefox. I am fairly illiterate when it comes to computer teck. Why are you messing up what I consider the best forum on the web?

Originally Posted by IB Nolan
We are launching a new, simpler way to read HDForums: Infinite Scroll.

Instead of needing to click "Next" in a thread to read additional pages, you will see a layout that automatically loads the next page of a thread as you scroll. We've also updated a few other parts of the layout so they remain easily accessible while you read, including access to thread search, a button to jump to the first unread post, and a Quick Reply box that lets you type a reply while scrolling through the thread content.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have about the new functionality of the site.

We understand that this infinite scroll feature isn't for everybody, and we understand that. If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or simply want to remove related threads, head to the User CP > Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads” in the Thread Display Options.

**For users using the mobile template on their phones, I would like to add that the User CP option to disable infinite scroll and related threads does NOT apply to the mobile template.
I don`t see "thread display options" in my sidebar of "User CP". Be more specific as to the exact wording of the place to find this. Never mind. I found it.

Originally Posted by IB Nolan
We are launching a new, simpler way to read HDForums: Infinite Scroll.

Instead of needing to click "Next" in a thread to read additional pages, you will see a layout that automatically loads the next page of a thread as you scroll. We've also updated a few other parts of the layout so they remain easily accessible while you read, including access to thread search, a button to jump to the first unread post, and a Quick Reply box that lets you type a reply while scrolling through the thread content.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have about the new functionality of the site.

We understand that this infinite scroll feature isn't for everybody, and we understand that. If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or simply want to remove related threads, head to the User CP > Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads” in the Thread Display Options.

**For users using the mobile template on their phones, I would like to add that the User CP option to disable infinite scroll and related threads does NOT apply to the mobile template.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-02-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I absolutely hate it. Glad you can turn it off. Change is not always good!!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Sometime within the last half hour, Infinite Scroll seems to have been re-enabled without me doing anything, and the option to disable it has disappeared from the choices under Thread Display.

EDIT: Looks like maybe a problem with Firefox, as IE doesn't have the problem.

Looks like it's not the Infinite Scroll, but something else that changed the display. Current display is gray and white, avatars show up in little circles. Apparently some forum software script or scripts are now required for normal display, where they weren't before?

Display sucks right now. Firefox 60.0.1, Windows 7, both 64-bit. May have happened about midnight Eastern Time. What changed?

EDIT: Yes, the Infinite Scroll is back, and part of the problem. Also missing from thread display is quick reply button at right bottom of posts thanks button, all poster info at top right of posts, and signatures, among other things.

Well, I don't know how it happened, since I was simply reading messages at the time it changed, but I got it fixed.

The menu had an option for "view full site", and once I clicked it, it was back to normal. Very strange for the forum to spontaneously disable full site.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I like the infinite scroll so far I'll prolly be keeping it.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I have had problems with no reply area, when you’re trying to post. I had to shut off my Adblock on Chrome.

I disabled the Scroll. If things aren’t broken, don't fix them. There are always unintended consequences. Since you've been messing around my links don't post as clickable in the mobile browser. That was a problem for years, was fixed, and now returned.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,748 Likes on 931 Posts

On my lap top at home, I am stuck in the "new" format. Tried to change infinite scroll under user cp/options and the "disable infinite scroll" does not even show up. Was able to disable the infinite scroll on work PC (which displays in the old format), but not at home. Again, seems stuck in the new format. Guess I will have to check my ad-blocker and disable unless there are other things to try. I like the old format just as it is (was). YD

Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
On my lap top at home, I am stuck in the "new" format. Tried to change infinite scroll under user cp/options and the "disable infinite scroll" does not even show up. Was able to disable the infinite scroll on work PC (which displays in the old format), but not at home. Again, seems stuck in the new format. Guess I will have to check my ad-blocker and disable unless there are other things to try. I like the old format just as it is (was). YD
If you've got the dropdown menu icon in the upper left, click it, then select "view full site" from the menu. It sounds like you're stuck with the mobile site view, as I was, judging from the missing option to disable infinite scroll.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
Thumbs down

Revert to your previous HTML, or what ever you used.

The new system sucks!

NOT USER FRIENDLY, EXCEPT FOR THE SICK, LAME, AND LAZY!!!

Has anyone at this sight ever heard of W3C?

Obviously that needs repeating …

Has anyone at this sight ever heard of W3C?

And you want me to renew my membership????????????????????????

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-09-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

This is a free site. If you don't like the scrolling feature, go into your settings and turn it off. Then you can sleep at night again.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
This is a free site. If you don't like the scrolling feature, go into your settings and turn it off. Then you can sleep at night again.
Well, that was an interesting reply, especially considering that when you posted it my membership (paid) icon was still displayed. As a member for years, and a paying member for years, SHOVE IT!

I will probably still renew my membership this week (If you don’t ban me for this post, and as soon as I make sure my Pay-Pal account is in order, don’t want that check to bounce!,) only because I want this site to continue. I view and/or are a member of other Harley forums, but have only supported this one, and have patronized many of the sponsors here.

I have not been involved with creating and/or maintaining web sites for years, but there are (or used to be) some things which are taboo, and pride in ones work used to mean something.

So answer me this: If I go and run through your hoops to disable your scrolling which you forced upon us, will it also negate the necessity to reload whatever page I am on whenever I log in?
Or will I still have to put up with those floating “Quick Reply” messages all over and the locked screen?
(FYI, that problem started when you made your latest change.)

Quick Reply: Introducing Infinite Scroll