Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front Brake/Fork Problem 2015 Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 PM
doeriam
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake/Fork Problem 2015 Iron 883

Hey all,

Recently bought a USED 2015 Iron 883 w/o ABS that only ha(d) 442 miles on it. I have added about 80 over the last week with no hiccups what-so-ever. The rear and front brake were squeaking so I removed the rear brake pads and cleaned them with just soap and water. They have barely been used so I assumed that it was just dust between the brake/rotor/pistols. This fixed the sqeak temporarily. I left the front brake alone because it wasn't that bad.

This afternoon after a 10ish mile ride I noticed that the rear brake started squeaking again so instead of disassembling it again I blew it out with an air compressor attachment (read online that this could be a quick fix).

I also blew out the front brake/rotor/piston area and actually noticed a small cloud of "dust" that came up (could it have been brake like fluid?). Right when done I rode it down my driveway and for the first time since owning the bike locked the front wheel. I skidded but was able to keep balanced.

Since this time I feel as though 1. the front brakes are CRAZY sensitive and the front wheel locks with almost no brake pressure but also 2. the front forks dip down HEAVILY with even small amounts of front brake pressure.

The bike is BRAND new essentially so I cant imagine that the fork oil/front fork itself has an issue but I just don't remember it being that "compressible" with such little braking.

The timing around this starting and me using the air compressor makes me feel like I must have done something to the front brake line or something else. Either way there is something odd going on with the front end of my baby and I will not (and should not) ride it until it has 100% resolved. I really don't want to have to take it in the the dealer unless I absolutely have to but also dont want to jeopardize my safety. Please help

Old 03-12-2017, 04:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

It is very likely your bike hasn't even had the normal 1,000 mile dealer service, unless you bought it from a dealer. If you did, talk to them about your concerns. Your bike will do tens of thousands of miles on those brake pads, so whatever dust there is shouldn't affect their performance! If you can bring yourself to doing so, take it for a much longer ride. You don't have to go far from home, just ride for say for an hour to put miles on it, use the brakes often if you can.

If you haven't found the Sportster section yet, call by there, where you will find plenty of fellow Iron owners who you can chew the fat with and discuss your bike.