Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Dunlop or Metzeler

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Boomshaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dunlop or Metzeler

ORIGINAL: oroepke1

What is everybody's opinion on tires? I ride a 1996 FatBoy, pretty much never in the rain (don't we all love Texas!) and need a new rear tire. Currently I got the Dunlops installed, thinking about a Metzeler, but there is something that scares me. A friend (Honda Shadow 1200) uses the Metzeler but the grip of the tire is pretty bad. I saw him crash on a dry road, coming out of a turn because it slipped. For me the Dunlops work fine (they suck on wet roads though) and I tend to stick with them. Thanks for giving me your 2 cents.
This:

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/tyres...amp;IMAGE1.y=8

should be for your bike. Stage one I believe is stock. The larger rear tire shown under stage one is the size you could go up to and still fit ok on the stock rim and fender. Stage 2 is if you have a wide-tire kit installed.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oroepke1

What is everybody's opinion on tires? I ride a 1996 FatBoy, pretty much never in the rain (don't we all love Texas!) and need a new rear tire. Currently I got the Dunlops installed, thinking about a Metzeler, but there is something that scares me. A friend (Honda Shadow 1200) uses the Metzeler but the grip of the tire is pretty bad. I saw him crash on a dry road, coming out of a turn because it slipped. For me the Dunlops work fine (they suck on wet roads though) and I tend to stick with them. Thanks for giving me your 2 cents.
I'm getting ready for a long distance ride and plan to leave late the second week of July.
I made an appointment to get both front and rear tires replaced before I go (the 11th).
I was going to try out the Metzelers since I have heard so much praise over the grab and ware of the tire. The shop called for availability. I wanted the wide whites, but couldn't because of back order which pressed the window of my departure to close, so I said well see if they have the narrow whites, the wait is going to be even longer. I didn't have then check on the availibility for black walls because I didn't want black walls. The price on the Metzelers was better than what I have been paying for Dunlops, but, I'm leaving, so I went with the WWW Dunlops again. I'm glad they made that call for me the day I stopped by and made the appointment.

chappy

Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

Scrap both ideas and get a set of Avon's. My personal opinion is they handle better and wear better than anything else out there. Just my .02
Joey

Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jchildress21

Scrap both ideas and get a set of Avon's. My personal opinion is they handle better and wear better than anything else out there. Just my .02
Joey
Hi Joey,

How is the Avon rubber compound on cold roads?
I have heard that they do real well in the heated up roads on hot days but I have also heard that they don't grab the road on the cold or very cold days.

Just what I've heard, I have never tried the Avons, but I'm open to try new things. I'm set for the tire appointment on the 11th since I ordered the dunlops already, maybe next time around.
Thanks for your .02
chappy

Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Avon Venoms are about like slicks. Fine in the dry, scary when wet.
By the way; bald tires always corner just fine because no one wears off the tread on the edges of the tire.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i love my metz, yes they wear more quickly, but thats what grip is about. I put a new set on before spring, and will probably have to get a new rear before the end of the season. I would say I already have @ 6000mi. on them so far and will prob get another 2-3, but thats about it.

Grip wise, wow big dif from the lopes...after even a short quick stint down the road the rear tire is quite "sticky" to the touch. I and the outer accessories on my bike like sticky tread, I would rather replace tires twice a year than grind some paint and chrome on pavement.

Some accessorize with chrome first, me I went with upgrading wheels, rubber, brakes, then started into chrome and engine upgrades.

If you cant keep it on 2 wheels what good is a 5k paint and 10k in chrome?

rant over,,,[&:] just my .02

Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

From all I've read here, and other posts, I'm convinced to try the Metzler, but I'm wondering if there are more options for the Deuce than the ME880? Anyone tried anything else?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took off the Duncraps and put on the ME 880's, and got a new bike. It was quite a dramatic change in ride, Oh so smooth, and the handling, it's like I'm on rails now. So what if they don't get the same mileage. It's all about the ride and handling in my book. Try em you'll like em.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just got the second of two metzlers installed and DAMN! what a difference.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

Had my tires finally taken care of today. I didn't have time to wait for the mets when I ordered the tires. But maybe the next time around I'll take the time I need to order a set of mets or maybe avons or maybe even mich. But that will have to wait because the chore set before me now is to burn miles. Looks like I'll be leaving pretty close to when I had planned, the 17th of this month. The bike rode very well today with the new sneakers on. I had the 140 put on the rear inplace of the stock 130. I really didn't feel any difference to speak of, but the long days should let me know.
My new re-worked seat came UPS today also. Finally, this is the seat that got ripped pretty good when I got slambed from behind while sitting at a redlight in Daytona.
It really came out good. It took a lot longer than I expected, but I must say, it's comfortable and looks real good too. It was done by Saddleman. It has the gel's both front and rear. Has a custom stitching that matches the tourpac backrest and also had the riders backrest stitched to match as well. The GPS is hooked up and working great. This is coming together to look like a very good ride.
It will be a pleasure burning those tires down. I'll probably have to get a rear replacement on the road. Well it won't be the fist time for that. Usually the time to just sit and wait is a good time meeting new friends. It also amazes me how many times I meet some of the same people on the road.
Can't hardly wait.
Well babbled enough, I'll try sleeping again, after all it is about 03:20 hours
been a long day
chappy

Quick Reply: Dunlop or Metzeler