Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Options for Bleeding 2021 ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:24 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 656 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
With the bike in for an annual service that would include the flush I would hope some of the sky high pricing you lot get charged is greatly reduced. With the bike already on the table being worked on that setup time has already been taken care of.

How long is it taking you guys that have an ITM or scan tool to do the job at home?
​​​​It's a little more involved with a trike as both rear wheels have to be removed. I do my own service and the first two years it's covered under factory warranty anyway.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:25 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 656 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Old school or rural no dealer/Indy ABS flush.
1) flush the fluid as normal.
2) three panic stops that activate the ABS system.
3) flush the fluid as normal.

4)Find more important things to worry about.
If that works for you, I would definitely continue doing it.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,681 Likes on 3,916 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Old school or rural no dealer/Indy ABS flush.
1) flush the fluid as normal.
2) three panic stops that activate the ABS system.
3) flush the fluid as normal.

4)Find more important things to worry about.

Already said that but that's for a bike out of warranty.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:41 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,681 Likes on 3,916 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue1
​​​​It's a little more involved with a trike as both rear wheels have to be removed. I do my own service and the first two years it's covered under factory warranty anyway.
Are you saying the bike warranty will pay for the maintenance to flush the brake fluid?

Old 01-16-2023, 05:22 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,834 Likes on 5,286 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
hummmm?????
a long time ago there was abs that was separate from the system brake system that had its own reservoir and hence the need to purge when doing service to it.
today it is hardly seen and the abs is just a bank of electrical solenoids and piston chambers that alter volume.
that said, IF you do it correctly, there is no need for any special tools, aka, no need to cycle it.
if i had a mc with abs, there are ways to drive the solenoids and a stealer will not get my money.

If you do not cycle it correctly with the tool you are wasting your time.. No magic trick works.

The following users liked this post:
StoneTrekker (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 737 Likes on 648 Posts

+1 mr. rouge

ANY service manager is looking out for max dollars for the shop.
the method is the same as a NON abs system since it is a flow through design.
choose your flavor
gravity
pressure
vacuum
i will use the vacuum method when ever possible.
perhaps the shop also wants to make sure the system does cycle, murphy's law says when least expected, expect the worst, a piston can stick, not to say that is a guarantee it won't driving out the shop.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:59 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDeuce
To be clear, I am interested in properly cycling the ABS when changing fluid with some sort of electronic device. I'm basically asking if anyone knows of or has any experience with a tool that is available to work on 2021 & up bikes, as most that I've seen are only for 2020 & older.

The Twin Scan 4 seems like a great value compared to other tools that are $1k+, that I most likely will never use most of the other functions. But I've been asking them since early 2021 when they will have an updated version available for the new bikes and they keep telling me to check back in a few months.

I'll give ITM a call and see if theirs is ready yet.

I haven't gotten a quote from the dealer yet and I'm not familiar with any local Indy shops. I like to do my own work. I'm not a fan of other people fingering my vehicles and ending up with scratches and brake fluid spilled on the paint, not to mention the question in my mind of if the work was done right or even done at all.
Good luck with getting an answer from ITM, I tried for almost a year, talked to them a couple times, emailed, and never got an answer as to whether or not they’re unit would work on my ‘19 SGS with a build date of 1/19. They quit answering my emails and taking my calls, so I said f it and took it to my dealer and it cost me 120 bucks. And by the way-as someone else said on here “don’t shoot me I’m only the messenger”- one of the salesman who I bullshit with quite a bit when I go there told me that according to their techs, if you flush your system yourself you’ll be fine-the small amount of fluid left in the system from not being able to activate the ABS won’t hurt anything. Again, not my claim, just repeating what I was told.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:22 PM
ZDeuce
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually e-mailed ITM today and got two very quick replies. He said he is working on a new model for 2021+ bikes and hopes to have it ready "by spring."

Old 01-16-2023, 04:28 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 228 Posts

Good to know, I might try them tomorrow to see if they ever got the rest of the 19s figured out. Thanks

Old 01-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,619 Likes on 4,665 Posts

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
one of the salesman who I bullshit with quite a bit when I go there told me that according to their techs, if you flush your system yourself you’ll be fine-the small amount of fluid left in the system from not being able to activate the ABS won’t hurt anything. Again, not my claim, just repeating what I was told.
Thanks for passing along this 3rd hand unsubstantiated tech info...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-16-2023 at 04:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (01-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Options for Bleeding 2021 ABS