Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

13inch OEM Caliper Relocation Brackets(Axial) fitment confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 11:11 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,583 Likes on 1,416 Posts
Default 13inch OEM Caliper Relocation Brackets(Axial) fitment confusion.

I'm looking into putting a 13in Galfer Wave rotor on my 2018 Fat Boy 114 FLFBS, and I've been trying to find and decide on which caliper relocation bracket to use.
Right now I want to use the TTi 13inch relocation bracket: https://twistedtindustries.com/collections/brakes
But it's fitment is very vague. It simply states "Fits 2000 and newer Harley models with stock fork sliders."
OG Garage makes one as well, https://originalgaragemoto.com/produ...aliper-bracket
Their fitment states "Fits most 18'-later Harley-Davison M8 Softails models & 15'-later Touring Models"
I've found a few others as well.
Trask makes one and it states https://traskperformance.com/product...44801826160890
"Allows factory brake calipers to to be used with 13" rotors" that's it nothing else.
Roaring Toys https://www.buynowroaringtoyz.com/13..._p/hd13lcb.htm
And it lists specific touring baggers like "2014-2016 Street Glide FLHX"
Hawg Halters Inc makes one as well and their fitment states https://hawghalters.com/brake-caliper-adaptor-bracket
"The bracket is designed for 2008 & up Touring & 2008 - up V-Rod applications with Stock fork legs and stock axial mount brake calipers. "
There's also cheap knock off Chinese made ones on ebay that show up and they have fitment stating
"Fitment: For Harley Davidson Touring Bagger 2008-2023 Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide..."
Why do so many of these have so many different fitments or vague fitment statements?
Wouldn't it to reason that if the TTi Caliper bracket fits 2000 and later Harleys and is being sold in Lyndall's shop, that all the rest would also fit 2000 and later harleys with stock calipers? It seems to reason if one of them fits, they all should have the same fitment.

For my Fat Boy, I want to go with the TTi bracket with ARP Hardware. Is this likely to fit? Hawg Halters version is 80$ and I can get it in chrome or machined to match my silver fork sliders.

I'd rather not order a custom Wave rotor and not have a bracket to mount it with.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:33 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Yeah, I can see why it's seems confusing particularly when some don't use totally accurate descriptions.

Dimensionally, what it basically comes down to is whether a bike originally came with 11.5" or 11.8" rotors. When the different model lines (except 06-17 Dynas) changed to 11.8" rotors they also used a new caliper redesigned for the larger rotor while using same caliper mounting location.

So using a Softail for example, if you compared 2014 (11.5") to 2015 (11.8") you would see they used the same Sliders (ie. same caliper mounting location), but changed the Caliper to accommodate the change to a 11.8" Rotor.

So when changing to fixed larger size (13") you would have to have Two different adapters. One for bikes originally equipped with 11.5" rotor/caliper and One for bikes originally equipped with 11.8" rotor/caliper

Now if someone offered both a 13" & a 13.3" rotor for the different years (they don't ), they would only need 1 adapter to work with both.

Now to address TTI stating "Fits 2000 and newer Harley models with stock fork sliders." It will only work if your also going to change the caliper to one that was designed for an 11.8" rotor.

So ... the TTI should work for you because they show the adapter being used with "your" Caliper on what appears to be a FXLRS

Less Confused?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-01-2024 at 05:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
eighteight (03-03-2024), FranBunnyFFXII (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:44 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,583 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Yeah, I can see why it's seems confusing particularly when some don't use totally accurate descriptions.

Dimensionally, what it basically comes down to is whether a bike originally came with 11.5" or 11.8" rotors. When the different model lines (except 06-17 Dynas) changed to 11.8" rotors they also used a new caliper redesigned for the larger rotor while using same caliper mounting location.

So using a Softail for example, if you compared 2014 (11.5") to 2015 (11.8") you would see they used the same Sliders (ie. same caliper mounting location), but changed the Caliper to accommodate the change to a 11.8" Rotor.

So when changing to fixed larger size (13") you would have to have Two different adapters. One for bikes originally equipped with 11.5" rotor/caliper and One for bikes originally equipped with 11.8" rotor/caliper

Now if someone offered both a 13" & a 13.3" rotor for the different years (they don't ), they would only need 1 adapter to work with both.

Now to address TTI stating "Fits 2000 and newer Harley models with stock fork sliders." It will only work if your also going to change the caliper to one that was designed for an 11.8" rotor.

So ... the TTI should work for you because they show the adapter being used with "your" Caliper on what appears to be a FXLRS

Less Confused?

Yeah a little less confused.
So if the bracket fits a bike that has 11.8inch rotors stock, then the bracket will work for essentially any Harley that has those rotors And that OEM caliper.
So I can safely buy that TTI Caliper bracket to pair with my 13inch Wave Rotor I'm going to order and I can expect it all to install smooth and easy.
Thank you for the information.

The following users liked this post:
96hugger (03-14-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:00 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Yeah a little less confused.
So if the bracket fits a bike that has 11.8inch rotors stock, then the bracket will work for essentially any Harley that has those rotors And that OEM caliper.
So I can safely buy that TTI Caliper bracket to pair with my 13inch Wave Rotor I'm going to order and I can expect it all to install smooth and easy.
Thank you for the information.
Fran,

I don't know if you've already ordered your brackets yet or not, but if you have any questions about the TTi products, just give them a call. More than likely Oscar will answer the phone (he's the owner). He's a super nice guy that will answer any question that you have. I probably kept him on the phone for 15 minutes asking him all kinds of questions. He impressed me so much that I went to his shop where he manufactures the brackets (and Lyndall rotors, btw). He is a local guy to me (Austin, TX area), so I got to see right where the goods are made.

I ended up ordering the radial brackets (front and rear) right there that day. Give him a call!